Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 8th December 2008, 02:47 PM

Default Media to blame for Qantas faults

From todays dailytelegraph.com.au

Quote:
Media to blame for Qantas faults
By Simon Benson

December 08, 2008 01:42pm

THE new boss of Qantas has slammed the media for over-reporting the carrier's minor incidents, while guaranteeing the staff would remain Australian if they merged with British Airways.

New qantas boss Alan Joyce guaranteed that the airline's head office would remain in australia if the company merged with british airways.

The irish born ceo also guaranteed that the majority of staff would remain Australian.

Confirming the two airlines were in merger talks, Mr Joyce said Qantas would remain majority Australian owned.

And he did not rule out merger talks with Asian airlines if the BA deal fell through. “The fact is they are only talks...there are no guarantees,” he said.

“But Qantas has come to these negotiations with a position of strength.”

Mr Joyce revealed he was in favour of a merger as the only way Qantas could survive as a mega airline and not simply become a niche airline.

“But it has to be the right deal for Qantas,” he said.

Speaking at his first public engagement at a lunch of the Australia Israeli Chamber of Commerce, he also defended Qantas safety record. He claimed the most recent serious events were a result of design faults with the aircraft not engineering.

He also blamed media reporting of what were minor incidents that affected every airline, for creating a dangerous perception in the travelling public.

“A confluence of events have shaken that safety perception,” he said. “The most important thing is that safety is the number one priority and is seen to be the number one priority,“ he said.

“Media reporting of minor events have received alarmist coverage. This has led to a vague and dangerous perception. None of this is true. ”

Mr Joyce also admitted he was in an Irish pub when Transport Minister Anthony Albanese called him to ask for emergency flights to Thailand. Qantas put on eight flights to the troubled region.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...014099,00.html

There definately was a degree of over-reporting, especially on the minor incidents but in defence of the media, there were some pretty bloody serious incidents too which were newsworthy.
Old 8th December 2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Mr Joyce also admitted he was in an Irish pub when Transport Minister Anthony Albanese called him to ask for emergency flights to Thailand. Qantas put on eight flights to the troubled region
HA! What a champ. I like this bloke already.

I wonder if he'll come over and join us at the AV8 bar during the spotting weekend.

Mick
Old 8th December 2008, 03:24 PM

A preceeding aircraft fails to clear the runway and a Qantas aircraft is forced to go around.

What is so newsworthy about an everyday occurence? That could happen to anyone?
Old 8th December 2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
A preceeding aircraft fails to clear the runway and a Qantas aircraft is forced to go around.

What is so newsworthy about an everyday occurence? That could happen to anyone?
Thats the whole point. The media drumming up stupid stuff like that is not doing anything. However, the other "major" incidents such as a hole being blown in the side of a 747, the A330 Incident in WA etc are things that anyone would expect to see in the news. A flight that is low on toilet paper isn't.
Old 8th December 2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post

I wonder if he'll come over and join us at the AV8 bar during the spotting weekend.

Mick
So true! Seriously, he is too likeable - I am struggling to find a reason to dislike him!

Last edited by Sarah C; 8th December 2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 8th December 2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post

Mick
Allan Joyce owes me a beer....I got him out of an embarrasing situation at Jetstar's Adelaide launch
Old 9th December 2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
Allan Joyce owes me a beer....I got him out of an embarrasing situation at Jetstar's Adelaide launch
Do tell?
Old 10th December 2008, 08:20 AM

funnily enough it'll be the media that Qantas turns to when times get tough...love-hate relationship, deal with it Allan.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX