Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 6th November 2008, 11:15 PM

Default Qantas to axe MEL-PVG?

Latest rumour doing the rounds is that Qantas will shortly discontinue its twice weekly nonstop Melbourne - Shanghai - Melbourne service.

After a little digging it appears that flights post January 2009 have been blocked for sale - this is evident through Qantas.com and a flight availability search (J0 C0 D0 I0 B0 H0 and so on)...

If this turns out to be true, it hardly comes as a surprise!

Cheers
Old 7th November 2008, 07:20 AM

Interesting - I wonder if any SYD services will be reduced? Perhaps the axing of these routes will help free up 330 capacity for MNL etc?
Old 7th November 2008, 09:20 AM

Ah well the melbournites had an opportunity to develop a new service and they don't use it, so little wonder QF seems Sydneycentric. But then again twice a week is merely a token service is it not?
Old 7th November 2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Morrison View Post
Interesting - I wonder if any SYD services will be reduced? Perhaps the axing of these routes will help free up 330 capacity for MNL etc?
was talking to the QF MNL station manager at NAIA airport last Tuesday night, he had a QF A380 badged strap holding his airport security passes.

Jokingly said does that mean the A380 is coming to MNL, he said yes, but you will have to stand outside with binoculars as it flies overhead on its way to HK from Aussie.

Then talked about the A330 vs 767 to MNL, and he said no intention to change MNL from the 767s.

Banjo

Ps with the QF new check-in computer system, QF has had to use a different gate at MNL to that it used for the last 20 years, so now the QF Club and the gate are at different ends of the airport

Pss the 747 is till parked outside, as I note a JQ A330 is in for service in MNL also
Old 7th November 2008, 10:05 PM

seems like yet another failed adventure to crack into the Chinese market. A market that has a lot of potential for growth but the numbers haven't materialised.
while I don't know the specifics, I do think there should theoretically be enough O-D traffic given the population bases of both cities. I do think the vast majority of chinese in Shanghai would never have heard of Qantas - I do wonder how many of them would fly on QF anyway..
Old 7th November 2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
seems like yet another failed adventure to crack into the Chinese market. A market that has a lot of potential for growth but the numbers haven't materialised.
while I don't know the specifics, I do think there should theoretically be enough O-D traffic given the population bases of both cities. I do think the vast majority of chinese in Shanghai would never have heard of Qantas - I do wonder how many of them would fly on QF anyway..
There is increasing number of Chinese students studying in Australia, where initially QF might think there are increasing demand for Melbourne businessmen to Shanghai so they do it. The only time that I can think about QF can make a profit over this route is when Victorian and South Australian uni/high school sessions commences and concludes.

To fix Qantas' Chinese Network, here are some of my thoughts:

1. Codeshare with Cathay Pacific and Dragonair for their Chinese and Taiwan services (axing EVA Air as their Taiwan partner that QF can earn more long haul profits as well)

2. Use an Airbus A330 or even Boeing 767 (if not enough aircraft is provided) to add 1 more service to Hong Kong from Sydney, leaving at 10.45pm from Sydney and leaving Hong Kong at 6.00pm. The current evening flight from Hong Kong to Sydney should re-schedule to 00.00 Midnight, so that passengers from Sydney can have an Night flight out from Sydney to London (It will arrive before 6am in Hong Kong then they can change for the QF 29/30 to/from LHR at 7.30am. If QF can make this true, this can beat CX 138 as the outbound waiting time in Hong Kong is now less than CX by 30 minutes. The earlier evening flight enables passengers to have less waiting time in Hong Kong from Europe, and the midnight flight out will benefit the locals and transfer from Taiwan/China.)

3. QF can further add an QF code on AY 67/68 from Hong Kong to Helsinki, Finland to compete against CX.

If QF can adopt these 2 suggestions, they would have a higher yield on their Sydney/Melbourne - Hong Kong route, while via joint selling the codeshared Hong Kong - China sector, QF can actually have even more Chinese destinations and more favourable times for commutors to choose from.
Old 21st November 2008, 01:43 PM

The flights are now able to be booked.

Tried a few dates through JAN-FEB and the flights are open for bookings.
Old 12th December 2008, 04:35 AM

MEL-PVG disappeared after 29MAR09 and SYD-PVG increasing to Daily, as per GDS updates.