Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th August 2011, 01:56 PM
Prolific Member

Default ABC chopper crash Lake Eyre

It's being reported that an ABC news helicopter has crashed at Lake Eyre in South Australia last night, killing the 3 on board. Reports are suggesting there was bad weather in the area at the time of the crash. Veteran ABC pilot Gary Ticehurst and journalist Paul Lockyer are amongst the dead.

http://www.news.com.au/national/heli...-1226117784627

The recent wet weather has triggered a breeding boom of birds around Lake Eyre, including pelicans. Although the crash reportedly happened at around 1930, I can't help but wonder if perhaps the aircraft may have suffered a bird strike. No doubt the investigation will reveal all.
Old 19th August 2011, 02:01 PM

Very sad new to hear, especially with someone whom by media accounts is a very very experienced pilot. I did also hear that they had just refueled the chopper by hand pump and drums. A friend in the US had an engine out on taxi to take off due to bad fuel from drums. Just a thought.

Condolences to all involved.
Old 19th August 2011, 02:34 PM

It has been an absolutely terrible few weeks for aviation in Australia
First there was the trike crash at Tyabb, which the pilot was extremely lucky to walk away from.
Then there was the absolute tragedy of the Angel Flight crash North of Melbourne:
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...816-1iv4a.html
Then yesterday there was an ultralight aircraft which went missing in the Central Queensland are. Tragically the wreckage was found with the bodies of two men inside. Two fellow RAA pilots who will be missed:
http://www.cqnews.com.au/story/2011/...n-air-tragedy/
Then of course there is this helicopter crash near Lake Eyre...

Like I said it has been a terrible few weeks for aviation. I only hope that we can learn from the reports into these accidents.
Old 19th August 2011, 04:45 PM

Gary Ticehurst was one of the best civil helo pilots in the country, if not the world!

He'll be sadly missed by the helo community...
Old 19th August 2011, 06:02 PM

Unhappy Tough one for ATSB

The extent to which the aircraft has been damaged and consumed by fire, the remoteness of the location, and the extreme terrain and weather conditions, will make this a very challenging investigation by the ATSB. But one the outcome of which many will await to understand what could have happened to cause the tragic loss of three experienced and very well known ABC staff.
Old 19th August 2011, 07:53 PM

I have never met any of these men but their emerging stories simply makes me sad.

Take a moment to view this website set up by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

ABC Tribute to Paul Lockyer, John Bean and Gary Ticehurst

Rest in Peace.
Old 19th August 2011, 10:03 PM

Gary Ticehurst was a legend in the chopper industry and a very very well respected pilot in the Australian aviation industry.

His contribution to both the media and aviation industries has probably never been properly acknowledged. Particularly his efforts during the Sydney to Hobart race where he saved many lives during the race.

RIP Gary, Paul and John.

Mick
Old 19th August 2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A McLaughlin View Post
Gary Ticehurst was one of the best civil helo pilots in the country, if not the world!

He'll be sadly missed by the helo community...
Totally agree. I was privileged to work with him in the 1980's as a cameraman and we always felt safe.
Old 23rd August 2011, 05:21 PM
Prolific Member

The preliminary ATSB report has been released. Contrary to initial reports, the weather was fine and clear.

http://atsb.gov.au/publications/inve...-2011-102.aspx
Old 24th August 2011, 07:38 AM

He was an excellent pilot. I met him during the 1998 Sydney to Hobart rescue operation. He had over 16000 hours at the time of this accident, his career beginning with the Army in 1973. If this can happen to him, it can happen to anyone. A terrible loss. I will follow the investigation closely.