Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th December 2011, 10:56 PM

Default EK413 departed after curfew?

It's now 2355hrs and the EK 413 is just climbing through 8000ft on departure out of SYD and crossing the coast nr Stanwell Park heading West . Did it depart after curfew this evening ?...

Dave C
Old 16th December 2011, 11:30 PM

Aircraft departed at 11:46pm, after curfew.

It's worth noting that as long as aircraft has received taxi clearance before 11pm the aircraft can depart 16R full length. So despite an unusually late departure this is ok.
Old 17th December 2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks for that Shayne..

Dave C
Old 5th February 2012, 09:56 AM

THE Emirates airline could face fines of more than $1 million for multiple breaches of the Sydney Airport curfew after it defied repeated warnings by air traffic control not to fly after 11pm.

The federal Department of Infrastructure and Transport is investigating three breaches by Emirates, and has strong hopes of a successful prosecution for two of the incidents.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/curfe...#ixzz1lScOlCZx
Old 5th February 2012, 01:16 PM

The curfew hours were made in the days when aircraft were a lot noisier than todays new aircraft , I believe the EK413 late departure in December was due to fuel supply probs , due to a storm at the airport, I think that airports need to move with the times and give extra allowance to aircraft which are not so noisy , I was riding at Brighton-Le Sands yesterday and hardly heard a thing when QF31 took off over the water 16R ?
I am sure that if EK413 took off from the same runway - using the full length , the noise would be minimal , common sense should always prevail !
Old 5th February 2012, 01:48 PM

The bigger issue should be the curfew itself.......
Old 5th February 2012, 02:14 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Sanhard View Post
...common sense should always prevail !
For anything to change, politicians need to be involved.

Enough said!
Old 6th February 2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Sanhard View Post
The curfew hours were made in the days when aircraft were a lot noisier than todays new aircraft , I believe the EK413 late departure in December was due to fuel supply probs , due to a storm at the airport, I think that airports need to move with the times and give extra allowance to aircraft which are not so noisy , I was riding at Brighton-Le Sands yesterday and hardly heard a thing when QF31 took off over the water 16R ?
I am sure that if EK413 took off from the same runway - using the full length , the noise would be minimal , common sense should always prevail !
Not disagreeing with you Laurent, but QF31 departing at, what 5-6pm, would be far quieter with ambiant traffice noise etc than EK413 at 11.46pm with nearly no traffic etc at Brighton-Le Sands...

But totally agreed, the curfew itself needs a second (or is it third, fourth...) looking at to drag it into the current time!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 6th February 2012, 05:52 PM

agree with you Bernie , but the A380 is still a much quieter aircraft than the DC 10 days etc , day or night , interesting article from flight global on the introduction of the A380 with Singapore Airlines into Heathrow in accordance with noise abaitment in the area http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...edures-339067/

Last edited by Laurent Sanhard; 6th February 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 6th February 2012, 07:26 PM

As much as I dislike the curfew I hope the prosecutions do stand up. We have now seen multiple examples of where international airlines believe they are above Australian law and just depart, knowing they are willing to pay the fine.

The fine is not there as a penalty payment, it is there as a deterrent. If it is not prosecuted sufficiently, including being a very large penalty, then airlines will keep breaking it. Australian airlines, however, knowing the publicity backlash will not be able to risk it. Another example where Australian airlines will be penalised by the Australian government.

The curfew should be modified, but while it is in place, it needs to be applied fully.