Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 19th August 2013, 06:02 PM

Default First Attempt at trying to do a trip report (Lots of Words)

Ok here goes,

Just to start I didn't take many photos for 1 reason,
1. My camera was out of battery due to a power outage at my place the night before, but where I could I would. All photos will be attached at the bottom of the page.

Anyway back to the report,

Tuesday 5th June 2013

Family holidays are OK but to get out of Canberra for a holiday I would take it, I was informed that we would be going on a trip to Townsville to watch the V8 Supercars and then to Cairns for a holiday. The trip consisted of the following routes,
1. Canberra - Brisbane
2. Brisbane - Townsville
3. Townsville - Cairns
4. Cairns - Brisbane
5. Brisbane - Sydney
6. Sydney - Canberra

Anyway, I arrived at the airport at 06:00 for a 06:45 departure and I was met with the dreaded Qantas DIY dag drop areas. However technology was on my side today with everything working as normal, I then was waived the security with no fuss and made my way to Gate 12 where my aircraft was waiting for me.

Flight 1 - Canberra to Brisbane (CBR-BNE)

• Aircraft – Qantas Boeing 737-400
• Registration – VH-TJZ (Port Pirie)
• Load – About 80%
• Takeoff: RWY 35 (Full Length)
• Departure: 06:45
• Arrival: 08:55
• Seat: 15A
• Departure Gate – 12
• Arrival Gate - 16
• Flight: QF948

After Pushback the safety demo was shown, this was done in an ordinary manner and cabin crew was then seated. Takeoff was fine apart from a slight delay waiting for 2 defence aircraft to arrive. Once we were in the air we made a slight turn for Dubbo so we could bypass Sydney control. As soon as the Seatbelt sign was switched off the FA sprung into action serving the first three rows of Economy in a matter of minutes. Breakfast was served on this flight which means you get more than a refreshment. Breakfast consisted of:

• Cereal with Dairy Farmers Milk
• Banana Muffin
• An Apple or Peach
• Coffee or Tea
• Orange Juice
• Water (On Request)

This was enough to fill the hole until we arrival into Brisbane. As we began our decent into Brisbane the First Officer got on the speaker saying that we were landing at the busiest time of day into Brisbane, and we would be in a holding pattern. So that was that, we kept circling around the Gold Coast until it was our turn.

We landed on RWY 01 and to the pilot’s credit ON TIME, landing was quite smooth. Full reverse thrust and spoilers were deployed and quite heavy braking. Taxi to the terminal was quite slow due to many domestic and international flights taking off at the same time. We eventually arrived at gate 16, 10 mins late. BNE airport really need to get their act together and build another runway. However upon leaving the aircraft the FA’s were very apologetic, and I was a bit annoyed because I didn’t have long for my transit time, only about 20 mins.

I walked via the open walkway over to gate 17 where my flight to Townsville was ready for boarding.

Flight 2 – Brisbane to Townsville – (BNE-TSV)
• Aircraft – Qantas Boeing 737-800
• Registration – VH-VXG (Sharing the Sprit Livery)
• Load – Full – Only about 2 seats at the back empty
• Departure time – 09:35
• Arrival Time – 11:10
• Departure RWY – 19
• Arrival RWY – 19
• Departure Gate – 17
• Arrival Gate – 3
• Seat 12A
• Flight: QF970

On arrival at the aircraft I was greeted by 2 FA’s who were serving business class. On arrival at my seat I had the worst possible people sitting next to me. In 12B I had a mother & and baby, who wasn’t that old to be quite honest, and in 12C I had a women who constantly was talking to herself.

We left the gate 5 minutes late because the toilet got blocked and had to be flushed out. However because it was peak hour taxi to the RWY was extremely slow with 9 aircraft in front of us. BNE airport really needs to put a new runway in sooner rather than later.

As we pushed in front of a Singapore Airlines A330 in which the first officer didn’t look too pleased. However we departed 5 min late and took off towards the city then a right turn up the coast towards Townsville. Being an older 737-800 the screens were on the overhead panel. In flight service was just the same as any other airline, just a refreshment was on offer today which consisted of:

1. Warmed muffin
2. Fruit – Apple or Orange
3. Drink Service

As we approached Townsville, the baby started to roar to life, with screaming and whinging the whole way down. We commenced our decent out to sea, coming in over Magnetic Island, weather today in Townsville was barmy 29 degrees, with winds to the north. Touchdown was a bit bumpy with the aircraft bouncing up and down twice before reverse thrust was activated.

This was followed by some heavy braking as Townsville’s runway is not as long as others. Taxi was short and quick and arrived at the gate on time. I bided farewell to the FA’s who were great on this flight. Townsville’s Airport is basic but enough to suit the amount of flights entering through it every day. Baggage claim was fine only about 8 mins.

Thursday 7th June 2013

I arrived at Townsville Airport almost 1 hour before my scheduled departure time, I had never flown on a Dash 8 Q400 so I decided to pay the extra $20 AUD to fly on it. Check in at Townsville Airport was the old-fashioned way with some nice lady giving a friendly smile upon leaving the check in desks. Approaching security, I never knew that 10:00 to 12:00 was Townsville Airport’s busiest time of day. And because there was only 1 security line, it felt like an eternity getting through there. After clearing security I found myself an early lunch, which was quite tasty. I then noticed my aircraft arriving from Mackay, and to my surprise, a brand new Qantaslink Q400 emerged in front of me.

Flight 3 – Townsville to Cairns – (TSV-CNS)
• Aircraft – Qantaslink Dash 8 Q400
• Registration – VH-QOX
• Load – Empty almost, only about 8-10 people on board
• Departure time – 11:00
• Arrival Time – 11:50
• Departure RWY – 19
• Arrival RWY – 15
• Departure Gate – 7
• Arrival Gate – 14
• Seat 9A
• Flight: QF2300

Walking out to aircraft, I was met with a barmy 31 degrees, and humidity at about 80%. I was met at the aircraft by the customer service manager and the first officer, which I thought was a nice touch. As I took my seat the new aircraft was wafted in my nose. There was a slight delay because of a small oil leak in the left engine.

However the problem was short lived and we were on our way. Service on the aircraft was short and sweet served by 2 FA’s, a refreshment was served which was just as basic as any other airline. Arrival into Cairns was great, not a cloud in the sky, and to make things better we made an approach over the Great Barrier Reef, landing was quite hard.

After bouncing twice reverse thrust was applied to full and spoilers were applied. We stopped in the middle of the runway and made the long journey to the taxiway. We arrived at gate 14 on the domestic terminal side, but we didn’t arrive at the gate for another 5 mins because of a late departing Qantaslink Boeing 717-200 departing for Alice Springs. Disembarkation was smooth and quick with the FA’s and First officers wishing me a good day as I left the aircraft. Cairns Airport at the time was going under major redevelopments, with an extension to the domestic and international terminal. Well organised and well set out, Cairns Airport can have a pat on the back from me.

Thursday 24th June 2013

Good Friday – The day that airlines hate, I had been booked on flights from CNS-BNE and BNE-CBR on the day before, but Qantas overbooked these aircraft which I wasn’t too happy about, anyway I was rebooked on services as such,

• QF709 – CNS-BNE
• QF529 – BNE-SYD
• QF807 – SYD-CBR

I was happy that I get to fly on 767-300ER before they enter retirement with Qantas. Anyway Cairns Airport has just gone under a major refurbishment and looks very modern. Passing through security was a breeze, and a new refreshed food court which was well set out with a mural on the wall.

Flight 4 – Cairns to Brisbane – (CNS-BNE)
• Aircraft – Qantas Boeing 737-800
• Registration – VH-VXI
• Load – Full (Good Friday)
• Departure time – 10:08am
• Arrival Time – 12:50pm
• Departure RWY – 15
• Arrival RWY – 01
• Departure Gate – 14
• Arrival Gate – 16
• Seat 16A
• Flight: QF709

As this was a full flight there was barely any room in front of me because all the seats had their seats reclined. Takeoff was spectacular as we turned left and made our way out towards the Pacific Ocean and then down the coast towards Brisbane. The captain informed us that the weather is BNE was quite overcast with a quick rain shower during the morning meaning that we would be landing via the ocean on 19.
Cabin Service was an apple, a warmed muffin, and the BOB service. Landing into Brisbane was quite uneventful with only some heavy braking towards the end of the run. Taxi to the terminal was quick and uneventful with the passengers getting up before the engine was stopped.

As I was one of the last to leave, I asked the FA if I could take a picture of the cockpit. She said I could have a look, but no pictures. I was annoyed but sometimes as a plane spotter you can’t get everything you want.

I am not going to say much about Brisbane Airport’s terminal, but the Qantas part of the terminal does the job. No photos again for plane spotting, my camera battery died, and my phone doesn’t have a very good camera on it. I arrived at Gate 23 where my 767 have just arrived from Perth (PER). To their credit, the Qantas ground staff had the aircraft turned around in just over 30 mins. Boarding then commenced in zones, as I was towards the back, I was one of the last to board.

Flight 5 – Brisbane to Sydney – (BNE-SYD)
• Aircraft – Qantas Boeing 767-300ER
• Registration – VH-OGI
• Departure time – 11:20am
• Arrival Time – 12:50pm
• Departure RWY – 19
• Arrival RWY – 34L
• Departure Gate – 23
• Arrival Gate – 3 in T3
• Seat 34A
• Flight: QF521

Finally I get to travel on a 767. Because I live in CBR which is only serviced by QF and VA, the only “BIG” aircraft we get is a 737-800 of EMB 190. Anyway, as I stepped onto this aircraft I was met with 2 FA’s serving business class and 3 in economy, the captain informed us that we would be making a runway change, to 19 and make a turn and run down the coast with an eventual arrival after 1hr and about 20mins into Sydney on RWY 34L.

The flight was just like any other flight and as I arrived into SYD, I decided to go to the international terminal and check out the Observation deck and do some proper spotting. Photos attached below.

I arrived back in the domestic terminal ready for my flight home, I was quite tyred but was still raring to go.

Flight 6 - Sydney to Canberra (SYD-CBR)

• Aircraft – Qantas Boeing 737-400
• Registration – VH-TJI
• Departure time – 8:10pm
• Arrival Time – 9:10pm
• Departure RWY – 34R
• Arrival RWY – 35
• Departure Gate – 4
• Arrival Gate – 13
• Seat 21A
• Flight: QF807

Just another flight, not much to comment on apart from some major turbulence over the Southern Highlands, arrival in Canberra was uneventful, baggage arrived on time and I was in bed by 10:00pm that evening.

So if you made it this far, Cheers and thanks for reading, I hope next time there's more photos and less writing.

Sorry about the lack of photos, can anyone give us a heads up on how you insert more photos than the 5 I have below.

Cheers

Jacob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcf.jpg (7.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Q400.jpg (42.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Q400 VH-QOE.jpg (41.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Customs Q300.jpg (43.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4192.jpg (63.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 19th August 2013, 08:05 PM

Not a bad first attempt at a report! Just a few things...QOX is actually about three years old and also CBR gets a 767 to Melbourne on Mondays and Tuesdays (as well as Wednesdays when Parliament is sitting), that rotation is QF804/811 arriving into CBR at 0825 departing at 0910, of you ever get the chance I recommend riding it, QF811 usually has a rather light load and the climb performance out of CBR is awesome!!
24/1/24 JQ724 (YXS)
26/1/24 QF1913 (UYY)
20/1/24 QF1451 (LQM)
19/1/24 QF1442 (QOR)
7/1/24 QF1530 (YQW)
7/1/24 JQ740 (YXQ)
Old 2nd September 2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac M View Post
QF804/811 arriving into CBR at 0825 departing at 0910, of you ever get the chance I recommend riding it, QF811 usually has a rather light load and the climb performance out of CBR is awesome!!
I second that Zac! I've been on QF811 when it had ~30 pax, before the runway/taxiway extension to the south... the runway and climb performance is something else! Airborne at the runways intersection and climbed out like a rocket!