Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 13th September 2012, 06:02 PM

Thumbs down Major problems with ADS-B Scope

im having trouble with my adsbSCOPE 2.6 and GNS 5890.
its giving false readings. ive only had the equipment 2 days. it seems to work up high and in direct sunlight (tropo conditions).
it uses its own antenna. is there bigger antennas with bigger and better coverage you can buy. ill have a look anyways. can ADS-B antennas be used in a directional sense.
help please. thanks Clinton
KG-HFDL
PC-HFDL 2.0.42
Dell Laptop with 3 hrs battery
GNS 5890
MicroADSB
QTH-Booval QLD Australia
Old 13th September 2012, 10:14 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Hi Clinton,

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the adsbSCOPE 2.6 and GNS 5890. Though can you explain what the false readings are?
Also, what type of antenna do you have? What are its technical specs and what type of connection do you require to your receiver?

There are lots of different antennas available for the use of ADS-B reception on 1090mhz, but it depends on your requirement and setup as to what type you would purchase.

Here's a couple of directional antennas for 1090mhz:
http://www.moonraker.eu/Avionics-and...TIONAL-ANTENNA
http://www.moonraker.eu/Avionics-and...TIONAL-ANTENNA

We're having an ADS-B Workshop in November with other users of ADS-B equipment that you might be interested in attending. You can check out the details here http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=8474
Old 14th September 2012, 05:53 PM

Hi Clinton,

What do you mean exactly?

Do you mean that you will see planes in a wrong position?

That could be.... reason that you have not entered your home position.
Home Position is important for the calcualation of the plane position.

Please give me information what kind of receiver you have, Serial number would be fine. Secondly I would like to know the framerate you receive.

Because of the antenna we have a new one which is working very well with the GNS 5890 and will give you + 10dB. Normally you will see than very high frame rates mostly around 20.000 f/min or higher.

regards

Bernd
Old 15th September 2012, 09:46 PM

im testing the GNS 5890 with adsbSCOPE 2.6 untill i get my microADSB. the GNS is using the supplied antenna in the box. it varies beetween 1 and about 1500 depending on the time of day. 3794 FR (frame rate) on Friday. weekends are slower. also depends on where you are. im south facing. if you have GNS and adsbscope you'll notice after the flights have landed they drift as FL 0 off the map untill they are reready for use again. ive seen flights land (decrease in ALT then contuine off the map as drift) see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqn7CUhRK6Y&feature=plcp. others appear just inside 100km. the reciever isnt using its full power. maybe because of my QTH.
maybe i could come down to YSSY and try it there. help me out maybe its my antenna.

cheers
Clinton
KG-HFDL
PC-HFDL 2.0.42
GNS 5890
MicroADSB
QTH-Booval QLD Australia
Old 16th September 2012, 08:10 PM

Hi Clinton,

maybe I do not understand you correctly.
First point: Please do not reflect Software problems to the Hardware
Natural the ADS-B Receiver are only able to receive the digital Signals from the
Airplane. Thea are not able to correct any data or to add some data.
Second point: adsbscope is not the best soft you can get, therefore GNSīs decision is to bundle since 01. Sept. 1012 Planeplotter full version.
You have to set the point "drop airplane" to 20 seconds. That means that adsbscope calculate the position out of history for 20 seconds and simulate the position. May be this is what you are meaning ?

What does this mean the receiver is not using its full power? Please explain your meaning

By the way if you receive around 3700f/min = 600f/s this is a really nice frame rate. You will only see higher frame rates with the beast receiver.
Because of the technology the framerate of the microADSB will be less than half something arround 200f/s in the same situation and the Beast will have something arround 900f/s.
Actual I am preparing a video how to setup the ads-b scope and pp and the differences between microAdsB, radar box, GNS and the beast.
All the receiver are behind a antenna splitter means all they are in the same situation. What I can say is that the reception of some receivers is really bad and itīs wasted money to buy in my eyes. Also I can say that the microADSB has a very hugh donought effect. Itīs useless near of the airport.

Anyway I can tell you so much about but I think itīs better to ask me questions or to take a look to the Video. I hope I will be ready today and then I will give you the Youtube address

regards

Bernd
Old 17th September 2012, 01:46 PM

mine is set to drop aircraft after about 10 hours (the longest there is --). ill have a look for the video. im hoping to get planeplotter key today and unlock the full version. i have it running at home and it says 845mW and when im up high it works at 1089mW. also when an aircraft is detected its slow somtimes to bring up its details....? when im on the river at Hamilton it saids 1230mW ?

different output power ?
KG-HFDL
PC-HFDL 2.0.42
GNS 5890
MicroADSB
QTH-Booval QLD Australia
Old 17th September 2012, 03:24 PM

Hi Clinton,

now I understand a little bit more.
Please change your setup to 20s or maybe a little bit more.
10h is useless and you will have airbournes which are not real flighing.
The other point open speaking I do not understand
It seems that you are matching mV and mW
The adjustment is for the internal AMP inside of the stick. It is a Reference Voltage not Power itīs for the internal comparator. Inside of the ADSBstick you can adjust this reference voltage with ADSB Scope. The GNS 5890 is doing it by themselves dynamically.
Please for the antenna ..height and direct view is everything.
If there is something between Antenna and airbourne you can not receive well.

Because of the Power of the ADS-B signal from Airplane....
The fieldstrength is different therefore there is a need to have a internal amplifier. You can imagine that this is not easy because you have very noisy signals and very small signals you want to detect.
This is for example the reason for the donought effect which some receiver have.

regards

Bernd
Old 18th September 2012, 03:21 PM

yeh it sits on my back patio which is south facing and i get a lot but not every flight every day. ive perfected it well now. well when it loses contact with my rcvr it stops logging and it goes into dashes (broken lines) after about a hour it resets itself to where it lost contact and sits there. you can see in my picture attached.
so there isnt any dx yet. i live about 80km inland. thanks Clinton
KG-HFDL
PC-HFDL 2.0.42
GNS 5890
MicroADSB
QTH-Booval QLD Australia
Old 20th September 2012, 04:40 AM

Hi Clinton,

what I can see is that there is definetly something wrong in your setup.
Your framerate is only around 500 f/min normal must be something around
7000-8000 f/min. Range is also bad. For me it looks like indoor conditions same as i receive ADS-B under my roof. Anyway you must take care to open sky conditions.
If you receive that bad framerates under open sky there is something wrong with your antenna or receiver. please check.....
if you check and you are under open sky send me an email info@gns-gmbh.com with your postal address

Back to your picture :
broken lines means lost reception simulation of position
Again please set drop airplane to 20s !

Please setup Uref to 100mV I think its under the PIC setup menu...
nothing else has to be clicked in this menue

Also I can see that you have 840mV signalpegel
but Uref is 845mV this situation shows me that itīs a indoor condition maybe beside a window or so...not open sky.

maybe your antenna cable is broken or your connector I canīt say

I will send you a brand new receiver Version 3 please send the email and please return your old ADS-B receiver to me for investigation and Quality report

regards

Bernd
Old 20th September 2012, 10:25 AM

i was at Hamilton last night and i got 3500 (framerate) then it slowed down and picked up i was in a picnic shelter and i was getting everything normally. I was over 5 flightpaths and logged about 76 flights in a hour period but that was probably about right for my antenna. ill buy a bigger antenna and see how it improves. i have it set at 100mw on the menu and its powered by COM 7 on my laptop. yesterday from 6am to 215pm it logged 186 flights on YBBN west (over my unit in Booval) the antenna was on the patio wall. i cant use it indoors. the units blurt out even the AM band during the day. FM is ok but i have to be outside for any reasonable reception.
KG-HFDL
PC-HFDL 2.0.42
GNS 5890
MicroADSB
QTH-Booval QLD Australia

Last edited by Clinton Radloff; 20th September 2012 at 10:39 AM.