Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 23rd June 2012, 02:02 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Default Bankstown Nostalgia

My regular walk around Bankstown would normally reveal a host of GA airraft, the odd corporate jet, and the usual Police or Ambulance helicopters. This
morning however was a pleasant surprise, the airport was extremely quite and I came across a 1949 Cessna 195 and a 1943 Stearman A75N1, both absolute
treasures. There are currently only six Cessna 195s on the Australian register, including two B models.

The engine is a Jacobs R-755-A2 seven cylinder air cooled radial, first produced in 1933, and still being produced in 1970. The wing chord is large and the
aircraft itself quite long compared to later Cessnas.

The pilots side window is a wind down like in cars before electric windows, quite practical really.

The windwcreen goes right back over the pilots head, and there are sliding shades to block the sun when required.

Entry is via one large door, and the rear seat area is quite spacious.

The finish and rivet work on this aircraft is amazing, Cessna really did a quality job construction wise. The owner told me they just became to expensive
to build and Cessna changed their design and construction.

The instrument panel is well equipped and quite high, with a Y control column and a glove box for the flight manuals.

Boeing Stearman A75N1 VH-AAP (75-5236) 1943 - I was surprised to see that there are 32 on the Australian register, covering a number of model variants.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 23rd June 2012 at 05:54 PM.