Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 20th October 2011, 03:57 PM

@Daniel M: Actually I'm the type of person who always stops at red lights. Not a comparable issue, if the phone was in airplane mode than it is not transmitting, receiving, or doing anything that makes it different to an ordinary camera.
Fair enough it may be in the CAR's but still, was he hurting anybody? No. Was it a safety risk? No.
You just have to look at the tens of thousands of takeoff/landing videos on youtube to see that this is a fairly common practice. I've been sitting next to someone on a flight who was still sending and receiving text messages throughout the entire flight when she had reception, I'm still alive so it can't be that bad.

To keep it on topic, great video

PS: If you want to see something really dangerous in regards to Australian aviation on youtube, you can certainly find it...
Old 20th October 2011, 04:20 PM

The Il-76 at Canberra?
Old 20th October 2011, 04:39 PM

This one's really bad! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u7sXslgo8g
Old 20th October 2011, 05:47 PM

Anyone here driven 62km/h in a 60 zone?...
Old 20th October 2011, 05:54 PM

Haha, Neil, even I had to laugh at that.

It's good to see enthusiasm for aviation. But I'm also a strict follower in the rules. My job depends on it, so I would expect those who fall under my care (my passengers) to follow reasonable directions given to them from myself. If this includes turning your mobile phone off, whether you think it's fine to leave it in flight mode or not, then I expect you to do that.

Mick
Old 20th October 2011, 09:17 PM

^^If I may ask, why? If the device is not transmitting or receiving in any way what reasons are there for wanting them switched off? Is it in case of an emergency so that people aren't distracted? In that situation I would imagine most normal people would drop whatever they are holding and get the heck out but you never know... Or are pilots of the big metal just self conscience that someone might film a less than perfect landing? :P

Mobile phones clearly pose no risk to general aviation, my flying instructor sometimes pairs his phone with headset via bluetooth if he is expecting an important call. Doesn't seem to create any noise or buzzing. Many headsets are marketed with the ability to be able to do bluetooth pairing, so it must not be a risk.
(No risk that is, provided you only use it when at cruise altitude when the workload has decreased and certainly not during takeoff, climb-out, descent, approach or landing!!)
Old 20th October 2011, 09:29 PM

Jake,
I don't fly large airliners. My aircraft is equipped with multiple amounts of equipment that can be subject to inteference from mobile phones.

My question to you, is why do you feel the need to question what is a reasonable request? If that safety card in front of you says no mobile phones and the Captain of the aircraft asks you to turn your phone off, based on what knowledge and experience do you think you would know better?

I know that in a GA aircraft mobile phone's pose little or no risk by way of electronic interference, but how can you be so sure they don't pose a risk in a modern airliner, equipped with EFIS cockpits and fly-by-wire technology?

Mick
Old 20th October 2011, 11:32 PM

The Qantas safety card says you may use cameras and video cameras during periods where other electronic devices must be switched off, what is the difference between using a video camera and a phone in flight mode doing the same thing?

Oliver- I cannot view the video on my phone but I will when
I get to a computer and I am sure it will be great!!!
24/1/24 JQ724 (YXS)
26/1/24 QF1913 (UYY)
20/1/24 QF1451 (LQM)
19/1/24 QF1442 (QOR)
7/1/24 QF1530 (YQW)
7/1/24 JQ740 (YXQ)
Old 20th October 2011, 11:58 PM

Zac, if I recall, I believe the Qantas safety card also says Furby's must be switched off as well!

I'm not overly sure what risk they posed though

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 21st October 2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:13 AM

Isn't QF installing mobile technology on the 767 so you can use your phone onboard? The no electronic devices onboard modern aircraft is null and void in my opinion. Listening to onboard commands from the PIC is a different story.

Anyone got the evidence that mobile phones interfere with onboard instrumentation, scientifically proven?