Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 25th March 2008, 09:28 PM

These are commercial rates aimed at commercial photographers who sell images taken on the airport. The area bounded by Qantas Drive, General Holmes Drive and the eastern banks of the river and canal all form part of the SACL leased lands, that is the entire patch of dirt sits on Commonwealth land. SACL paid a gazillion kahunas to run the airport, and owns the buildings (with the exception of T3 and the jet base, but that's another story).

All the areas you refer to are public places. SACL own T1 and T2 and as owners can regulate activities. The other external areas are all public places, outside the magical line of demarcation called the fence (which has more significance for airport security legislation that the 49th parallel does in Korea).

The provisions in relation to security controlled and security restricted areas are significantly different outside the fence. This is not to say PC Plod can't ask you to leave ( Rule 1, don't argue with PC Plod............ever...........) however HM PC Plod enforces laws, not commercial arrangements that organisations may wish to apply to their operations.

Last time I checked the Control of On Airport Activities Act and regs, Crimes Act, Aviation Transport Security Act and regs, the Hairy Arsed Taxi Driver Act and a swag of others, nowhere is there a reference to regulation of photography in other than restricted areas. (Pull that stunt within the Customs Controlled Areas and you'll soon find that it is a fact that Customs Officers are born without the humour chromosome).

Therefore PC Plod is not a collector of revenues for commercial activities and will not stick beak into said issues in public places if no offences are detected. PC Plod in fact recognises that it is better to have extra eyes and ears in some of those places, and it is therefore not a good idea to antagonise such friendlies, unless ladders are on fences, fences being fiddled with, cars within 3m of the fence, yayayadayada..............

The same issues apply at Bankstown (or YSBK if we must!). However, and this is a big however.......... Refer to Nigel's post about airside photography. There are a number of folks who misuse their ASIC's for the purpose of loitering airside for photography. These images even get posted on this board occasionally. This is a breach of conditions of use and can get your ASIC revoked, as well as risking punitive action. Again, outside the fence, outside the Security Restricted Areas, there is no lawful reason not to take photographs (but review rule 1 further up the page!)

References to DOTARS are made by ill educated folk who try and bluff you by invoking the wrath of faceless public servants (who really don't give a tinkers cuss about planespotters). I'm sure it's just easier to say " DOTARS made me do it" rather than "We think you just annoy us, so we'd rather not have you here as we can't make dosh from you"

Last edited by Mick M; 25th March 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I needed Chittock's spell checker!
Old 25th March 2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
You could always go through the official channels and do some airside photography...
Photography (still) airside: $650 + gst first hour, $600 + gst per hour thereafter
That's not too bad, there are 279 members here at the moment, so if we can all go at once that's only $2.56 each for the first hour, and $2.37 for each hour after that, thats cheaper than seeing a movie! Nigel, see what you can arrange?

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 25th March 2008, 09:41 PM
Prolific Member

Ryan,
Have you ever heard of such a thing as corporate security? Photography and the images obtained can be included in this, and many businesses can be sensitive about what images are collected and where and how they are then distributed.

You've got to remember, it's not just the airport owners assets that have to be 'protected'...the airport owner also has part responsibility for the protection of assets of the tenants of the airport (i.e. airlines and the various agencies who use that airport).

There are a lot of companies (not just airports) that wouldn't be happy about images being taken and distributed without their knowledge or permission.

Quote:
but this crap is about one thing $$$$.
Then let's all have a little hissy fit that we're not getting our own way. You want unrestricted access to do what you want? Go spotting at Bunyan.

This 'crap' as you put it, is all about you not getting to do what YOU want when it suits you. It's got nothing to do with the money that an airport makes.
Old 25th March 2008, 09:54 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
That's not too bad, there are 279 members here at the moment, so if we can all go at once that's only $2.56 each for the first hour, and $2.37 for each hour after that, thats cheaper than seeing a movie! Nigel, see what you can arrange?

I think I'll need the shot gun for crowd control!

And er, I'll let you make the phone call...
Old 25th March 2008, 09:58 PM

Still Photography fees:

Administration Fee -
per application + GST
(Non Refundable) $ 109.00 $ 11.00 $ 120.00
Per Day
07:00am – 7:00pm $ 1364.00 $ 136.00 $1500.00
Per Half Day or part thereof $ 627.00 $ 63.00 $ 690.00

Pretty steep huh...
What airport is that?
Who said anything about an Airport?
That is Manly Council, NSW, anywhere in the Manly "Local Govt Area"
Old 25th March 2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick M View Post
These are commercial rates aimed at commercial photographers who sell images taken on the airport. The area bounded by Qantas Drive, General Holmes Drive and the eastern banks of the river and canal all form part of the SACL leased lands, that is the entire patch of dirt sits on Commonwealth land. SACL paid a gazillion kahunas to run the airport, and owns the buildings (with the exception of T3 and the jet base, but that's another story).

All the areas you refer to are public places. SACL own T1 and T2 and as owners can regulate activities. The other external areas are all public places, outside the magical line of demarcation called the fence (which has more significance for airport security legislation that the 49th parallel does in Korea).

The provisions in relation to security controlled and security restricted areas are significantly different outside the fence. This is not to say PC Plod can't ask you to leave ( Rule 1, don't argue with PC Plod............ever...........) however HM PC Plod enforces laws, not commercial arrangements that organisations may wish to apply to their operations.

Last time I checked the Control of On Airport Activities Act and regs, Crimes Act, Aviation Transport Security Act and regs, the Hairy Arsed Taxi Driver Act and a swag of others, nowhere is there a reference to regulation of photography in other than restricted areas. (Pull that stunt within the Customs Controlled Areas and you'll soon find that it is a fact that Customs Officers are born without the humour chromosome).

Therefore PC Plod is not a collector of revenues for commercial activities and will not stick beak into said issues in public places if no offences are detected. PC Plod in fact recognises that it is better to have extra eyes and ears in some of those places, and it is therefore not a good idea to antagonise such friendlies, unless ladders are on fences, fences being fiddled with, cars within 3m of the fence, yayayadayada..............

The same issues apply at Bankstown (or YSBK if we must!). However, and this is a big however.......... Refer to Nigel's post about airside photography. There are a number of folks who misuse their ASIC's for the purpose of loitering airside for photography. These images even get posted on this board occasionally. This is a breach of conditions of use and can get your ASIC revoked, as well as risking punitive action. Again, outside the fence, outside the Security Restricted Areas, there is no lawful reason not to take photographs (but review rule 1 further up the page!)

References to DOTARS are made by ill educated folk who try and bluff you by invoking the wrath of faceless public servants (who really don't give a tinkers cuss about planespotters). I'm sure it's just easier to say " DOTARS made me do it" rather than "We think you just annoy us, so we'd rather not have you here as we can't make dosh from you"
Why thank you Mick for that insightful intelligent non-emotional assessment of the overall situation. You sound like you know what your talking about.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 25th March 2008, 10:01 PM

Nige, don't worry about it, I know someone with an ASIC. We'll just sign em in, take the photos then it'll be in the terrorgraph in 2 days time!
Old 25th March 2008, 10:03 PM

Guys I have edited the original post, unfortunately when banks and money are mentioned in the same sentence it seems to bring out people's feelings.
This is the modified version.

I have 2 questions:

1. Are those fees for an individual or could that be for a group under a certain commercial banner like Sydney spotters inc., meaning you could share the costs amongst a number of people.(I kind of know what the answer is but maybe I'm wrong).

2. What do they mean by terminal, is that from behind the glass, or standing outside the terminal airside? Like say at the old Bangkok airport where you'd pay a fee for a few hours to stand at the end of a pier.

Morris

Last edited by Morris Biondi; 25th March 2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: out of date
Old 25th March 2008, 10:05 PM
Prolific Member

Do you know a good judge who can let us off after we get charged?

Perhaps the TWU or Daily Terrorgraph can help out...anyone know what the outcome of their case was? I couldn't be bothered doing a search.
Old 25th March 2008, 10:07 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Biondi View Post
Guys you read my mind, if you're willing to pay the big bucks all of the sudden it is permitted...

Morris
I think you'd still need a good excuse for doing the photography in the first place, and even then it's not a given that you'll be granted access.