Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 7th June 2011, 03:19 PM

I think Jetstar has an "A-tree-turtee" all the way to Dublin - Alan get yourself on it!!!
Old 7th June 2011, 03:23 PM

From PlaneTalking, bravo Ben Sandilands!

Quote:
Qantas CEO continues to downtalk the brand and reverse the realities
June 7, 2011 – 7:55 am, by Ben Sandilands

Qantas is making a dismal spectacle of itself at the IATA conference at Singapore.

In this morning’s reports by invited and hosted media the group’s CEO, Alan Joyce, says he is not going to spend any more money on “the premium international operation until they (start) to return their cost of capital” (SMH) and will “reconsider new aircraft orders” (The Australian.)

In these reports he also signals a new communications strategy from Qantas to rubbish its own core brand, by describing Jetstar and the frequent flyer program as subsidising the full service operation.

This is a reversal of the realities of massive subsidies or transfers of assets from Qantas to Jetstar, which if these inputs were truthfully detailed, would show a very different situation in terms of the relative performances of the punitive Jetstar experience and the premium Qantas divisions.

There are also inconsistencies in what Joyce is reported to have said. While he claims to be reconsidering new orders and is not injecting new funds into the international Qantas division, he is still taking all of the undelivered A380 order, which if true means they are suddenly ‘free’.

These statements seem to belong to the same genre as those claiming the pilot union agreement for a 2.5 percent pay rise per annum over three years equals an unsustainable 26 percent cost impost. The only thing unsustainable about this is the arithmetic. The only way to get anywhere near 26 percent is to count recurring costs that are already present as a continuing cost of doing business, and have nothing to do with base pay.

This claim by management is about as credible as its submission to the Senate inquiry into pilot training and airline safety, in which Joyce failed to acknowledge that the reason why a Jetstar A320 nearly crashed at Melbourne Airport in 2007 was the result of improper changes to the approved flight manual procedure for flying a ‘go around’ and that he was the then CEO of that airline and responsible for the unsafe and deeply flawed decisions taken by the carrier.

The burning questions this morning are why Joyce would slam his own premium brand and verbal its pilots and engineers at the leading international forum for airline managements only hours after the Qantas share price out-plunged the general retreat on the ASX?

Why does he rubbish the premium product which has been his responsibility for two years? Why does it describe its engineering and pilot unions as ‘rogue’ when their actions to date are lawful and fully within the prescriptions of Fair Work Australia, and are a consequence of an inability of management to secure a timely resolution of expiring industrial agreements.

One of the obvious reasons why the Qantas premium product is in trouble is that it isn’t competitively premium, which is his responsibility, and has a route structure which is variously inefficient or impracticable for many of the travellers that have crossed over to Emirates and Singapore Airlines, which is also his responsibility.

The latest act of management genius is a low frequency, range challenged flight to Dalls Fort Worth in a jet that can’t do the distance reliably, adds extra stops along the route for some passengers, and occasionally deprives them of their checked luggage as well as offering them a cabin amenity inferior to that on Qantas A380s.

Qantas may get soft media in Australia, and a soft ride from those who are indulged with free entry to the Chairmans Lounges. But Joyce is in a room in Singapore where has competitors can see right through him, and must wonder how much longer the airline will continue to provide them with easy pickings.
Give this man an OAM for services to Aviation Media.

Paul
Old 7th June 2011, 03:23 PM

Then he slams the company name in Singapore.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...the-realities/

Wonder if he is trying to talk down the price deliberately?

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 7th June 2011, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I quite liked the two posts from SoB in the crikey blog post from Monty.

I would love to see QF reinvigorate itself and its international network, in conjunction with a strong VA.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29-31MAR LAS-ANC/FAI-ANC-LAS AS
08-09APR LAS-SNA-LAS WN
10-29APR LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-MEL-ADL-KGC-ADL-MEL-SYD-LAX-LAS AA/QF/VA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 7th June 2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Waters View Post
From PlaneTalking, bravo Ben Sandilands!

Give this man an OAM for services to Aviation Media.

Paul
actually I find Sandiland's actually getting very predicable and boring, the light shines out of the DJ ... for him

he's now like the Heard, anything to take down Qantas he will
Old 7th June 2011, 04:38 PM

I don't think its really a secret that Joyce favours the Jetstar model over the QANTAS model of operations. I dare say we will see A380's divereted from QF to Jetstar and maybe even have them based out of Singapore or some other Asian country along with the crews. It sounds like a fair portion of the 787 fleet will be based overseas along with the crews. I feel Jetstar will be rebranded back to QF once the union element has been removed and the EBA's set up to suit LCC operations and QF will be a LCC in the long run.

Singapore Airlines entry into the LCC game may hasten things a bit i feel.
Old 7th June 2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dale View Post
... Why not bite the bullet and get new effecient aircraft for the international business. There are those who say Qantas management have their reasons for not getting the 777. But after all this time, no 787's, surely it would have been prudent to have a contingency plan. ....
They did have a contingency, however it is called an A330, not a 777. And if I am not mistaken on the international routes they serve they are doing the job well.
Old 7th June 2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
They did have a contingency, however it is called an A330, not a 777. And if I am not mistaken on the international routes they serve they are doing the job well.
And that maybe true, but, the 747's are very dated, the 767's are also very dated... but moreover, my biggest upset about this is that Qantas is not the airline of quality it once was, it is being cannibalised by Jetstar and no one in a position of power within the company appears to care about it. A330's are great aircraft, but they do not fly the long haul routes (with exception of QF25 via AKL) and 747's still ply these routes and 767's make their way up to HNL. Overall, it is the very visible neglect of the Qantas brand that gets me.
Old 7th June 2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dale View Post
And that maybe true, but, the 747's are very dated, the 767's are also very dated... but moreover, my biggest upset about this is that Qantas is not the airline of quality it once was, it is being cannibalised by Jetstar and no one in a position of power within the company appears to care about it.
The replacement for the 747 is the A380, result=A380 delay.
The replacement for the 767 is the 787, result=787 delay.

Extra orders for A330, including some that were part of the compensation for the A380 delays was the contingency. Introducing a new type such as the 777 is not contingency and would have been rather expensive with little long term gain. Wheras the A330's were a cheaper option with short term gain, with the long term gain ultimately coming from delivery of all those late aircraft. So on this score agree the 767's and early 747's are tired and should have been replaced, but cannot blame Qantas for the delays.

As for cannibalisation of the company don't think Jetstar can be blamed for the decline. The decline is clearly Qantas's inability to modernise due to the apparent reluctance of the staff and union to face reality and change their ways. In someways, like or or hate it Jetstar may well be the savior of the company. Indeed if I am not mistaken it and Qantas domestic are what are currently keeping the company afloat.
Old 7th June 2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
The replacement for the 747 is the A380, result=A380 delay.
...decline is clearly Qantas's inability to modernise due to the apparent reluctance of the staff and union to face reality and change their ways... Indeed if I am not mistaken it and Qantas domestic are what are currently keeping the company afloat.
Ash, I couldn't agree more on the above, however still not a reason for letting Qantas get to this low point.