Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 4th March 2010, 05:03 PM

Default UA840 Blown Tyre Landing at YSSY

While watching from Shep's Hill today I heard a large explosive sound from the south, I assumed it came from a vehicle on General Holmes Drv. Just then UA840 came into view and the controller was heard asking the pilot if all was OK as there was excessive smoke coming from the wheels. The pilot said all was OK but the controller replied that there was a large amount of rubber on the runway and that the plane must have blown a tyre.
They immediately closed 34L and diverted a Saab on final to make a hasty change to 34R.
The 747 slowly taxied to the International Terminal where vehicles descended on it from all directions including the fire engines,etc. Other vehicles were despatched to clean up the runway. After about 30" all was OK and the runway reopened.
You never know what to expect on Shep's Hill!!
In situations like that, who would repair the wheel and how long would it take, hours, days?
I am sure the passengers heading for the US would not have been impressed.
Old 4th March 2010, 05:08 PM

Hey Graham I was at the beach for it and the aircraft (N180UA) which swtiches to UA870 was only about 30mins late so the tire change wouldnt have taken too long.

When the tire acctually blew, it wasnt acctually on touchdown funnily enough. It happned just near Taxiway Lima when all wheels were on the ground. It was very loud haha!
Old 4th March 2010, 07:09 PM
Prolific Member

It also broke part of the landing gear, which United were able to source a spare from Qantas.

The tyre blew a couple of hundred metres south of Lima leaving small bits of rubber from the middle to the western shoulder of the runway, and the main carcass separated just south of Alpha-3 (it pretty much filled the tray on the ute). The clean up was a very messy, but relatively quick job.

The runway was made available for departures after about 10 minutes after the incident from Twy Lima to the north after the main carcass was cleaned up and an inspection was carried out along where the United rolled through to and vacated (Alpha-2), which then enabled a Dash-8 to get away.

Last edited by Nigel C; 4th March 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks Tim and Nigel for your update, it was exciting particularly the sound of the tyre blowing out.