Default DPS - SIN with a European twist

Flight Details:
Airline: KLM – Royal Dutch Airlines
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Route: WADD – WSSS
Flight Time: 2 Hours
Seat: 2K
STD: 2035

I had been in Bali for just under 2 weeks for both a holiday and to be a guest at a family wedding. Overall I enjoyed Bali and as a second time on the island I gained a better appreciation for it. I have always wanted to go back to Singapore as I enjoy atmosphere, the location and weather. It is a beautiful city and has lot of activities etc. to do. I thought to myself I could probably pick up a cheap ticket to get there and this would also give me an opportunity to fly home on the SQ A380 (9VSKH).

With this is in mind I managed to pick a fairly cheap business class ticket on KLM and thought it would be a good opportunity to fly an international airline on a short sector to try out all the bells and whistle to which I was pleasantly surprised.
So on Friday the 19th, I checked out of my party of a hotel for the last 2 weeks and headed for the new DPS international terminal, which is reminiscent of both the wave roof of LHR T5 and the openness.

Indonesia is different to Australia in terms of security and have their baggage screening point is before you enter the check-in area. Once through I made my way to the counters and waited about 20 minutes whilst the ground crew set up the counters.

Once I had completed the process, I then proceeded to the pay station and completed a second round of security checks and then onto immigration. This process was rather slow but once through I began to explore the terminal.
Here’s a few pics from my findings;

Once I had finished searching I headed to the JAS lounge, which was only a temporary lounge set up in a spare space with some retaining walls which really don’t block out any noise. I’m not one to snob but there was not much really to offer and I was actually disappointed as I was hoping for something a little bit better…

At -60 STD I headed for the gate where I found my lovely Boeing 77W in the lovely Skyteam livery, unfortunately, the windows are tinted and due to it being a night departure the conditions were really conducive to photo taking, here is my attempt with a small hand Olympus camera.

The boarding gate was setup well and controlled in a reasonable way.

Once through the priority lane, I boarded and found my very comfortable seat for a 2 hour trip. The only flaw that I found personally was that the tray table was not sturdy as it was a fold out half tray with no support between the two trays underneath.

Once settled in the cabin crew came around and offered a beverage service whether it be OJ or Champers, being I was on holiday and I had payed to enjoy myself, I thought I would indulge

Just prior to pushback a familiar sight arrived on a bay a few doors down :P

After that and once airborne the crew came around for a towel service and issued amenity kits.

More to come

Last edited by JamesL; 28th September 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 28th September 2014, 02:35 PM

Following that I began to settle in and trial the seat in all functions and started to watch the Wolf of Wall Street, which I actually didn’t get to finish watching and completed it on the flight home to MEL. As you can see there is amble legroom and the screen is of good size.

On this flight there was a full meal service, I chose the Braised been with a green peppercorn sauce, chateau potatoes, carrots and baby corn which was really really good!

Once complete I continued the movie until landing which was quite smooth and a quick taxi to Terminal 2 saw us arrive 30 minutes early. Immigration was fast and efficient and I found myself in a cab with a cabby that would laugh at nearly everything I would say :O

I had booked through work my accommodation at the Novotel in Clarke Quay, the room was very nice on the top floor and had a good view heading towards orchard road. What I found most intriguing was the fact I had 2 showers in the same bathroom! Here is a few pics of the hotel.

Overall you can find some very cheap tickets within Asia on many international airlines that have tag on services. If your ever in Asia maybe check this option out as it could add to your next adventure!

Any comments or improvements I would love to hear them so please do not hesitate!
Old 28th September 2014, 11:25 PM

Great report!! I hope to one day enjoy the fifth freedom privileges of either Air France or KLM intra Asian service. I enjoyed your short, sweet yet informative report, hope to see more soon! Did you by any chance do one of your singapore a380 journey?
Old 29th September 2014, 11:02 AM

Great Report James,
Seemed pertty good for just 2 hours, the seat, food, entertainment all looked as well.

Hope you enjoyed the trip
Old 29th September 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Steele View Post
Did you by any chance do one of your singapore a380 journey?
I had thought about it but didn't go through with it...
Old 30th September 2014, 10:59 PM

Bugger! Oh well, another reason for you to go on one again