Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 18th April 2023, 09:35 AM

Default Emirates abandoning its Airbus A380 fleet?

I read an Emirates review that stated the airline is getting rid of their A380 fleet due to a lack of profitability.

I have flown on A380 jets only twice and the legroom (and comfort in general) in Economy Class was poor overall.

Could that be whats causing Emirates to lose passengers?

I'm not sure if that is indeed what prompted Emirates to steer clear of the A380, or if it was a lack of enough passengers willing to pay extra for upmarket seats in Business Class, First Class, Suites, etc.
Old 18th April 2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post
I read an Emirates review that stated the airline is getting rid of their A380 fleet due to a lack of profitability.

I have flown on A380 jets only twice and the legroom (and comfort in general) in Economy Class was poor overall.

I'm not sure if that is indeed what prompted Emirates to steer clear of the A380, or if it was a lack of enough passengers willing to pay extra for upmarket seats in Business Class, First Class, Suites, etc.
Please post a link.

Emirates has 94 in service plus another 20 stored and handful scrapped. The A380 fleet is younger than the 777 fleet.

Emirates has 150 77X on order. No doubt once Boeing finally sorts out a production start Emirates can start a fleet renewal, exiting the oldest of its 777.
Old 18th April 2023, 11:05 AM

They've also performed cabin upgrades on some A380s fairly recently (new 4 class cabin, e.g.), and two or more have been repainted with the updated livery in the last month or two. At most airlines, that would be considered not the kind of behaviour if you were going to withdraw a type completely.
Old 18th April 2023, 06:04 PM

no chance of emirates abandoning the A380 anytime soon ,
they have built their model on using larger aircraft in hub to hub transport.

given the limited number of airport slots around the world in major airports , this is also a no brainer , any other aircraft would not be able carry the volumes that A380 can.

the A350 will have a place for emirates as well as the 777X , but not a A380 replacement.

they are pushing airbus to make a similar aircraft in the future that can take 500 pax or so.

but the current fleet can last up to 20-25 yrs if well maintained,

If Emirates goes to a smaller aircraft , they will need to find a lot more pilots and find a lot more landing / takeoff slots , simply not possible
Old 18th April 2023, 09:18 PM
Prolific Member

There are in reality only two airports where the A380 makes sense slot wise, LAX and LHR, which is why the A380 is a commercial failure. However at present capacity restraints make it viable, for how long who knows.
Old 19th April 2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post

Quite a few claims there . Can you provide reference to those claims ?
Old 24th April 2023, 12:53 PM

I couldn't re-locate the link, but it was something on YouTube.