Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 12th April 2008, 05:58 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik H. Bakke View Post
Extending 16L/34R further out into Port Botany may be extremely difficult to get past the politicians,
Bugger the politicians. The environmental effects of the 3rd runway in its present form extend far beyond the sea bed that is covered up. The rock groynes on Silver Beach at Kurnell and at Brighton Le Sands and Dolls Point were put there due to the changing sand drift patterns as a result of the 3rd runway.

If they extended that runway, they'd have to remap the sand drifts again and build a whole new set of groynes. Shipping channels, amongst other things, would most likely have to be changed too.

And no, I'm not a greenie.
Old 12th April 2008, 09:46 PM

I dont think a second airport is the way to go (at least not yet..).

Lift the artificial cap, see how it goes.

It may be needed after all, but i agree with what others have said; utilise what you have now to full capacity!
Old 13th April 2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
And no, I'm not a greenie.
We would never have guessed Nigel.... Where's Sonia when you need her...

Quote:
Lift the artificial cap, see how it goes.
Um. See Adam G's comment earlier. Lift cap, well and good. But when the runway system IS at or over capacity, as happens during single runway ops these days, there's not much that lifting an 'artificial' cap will change.
Old 13th April 2008, 07:53 AM

My money is on Bankstown. It has the infrastructure and the transport links. And some of the light aircraft can move to the more smaller airports nearby. We cant have a city of 3.5Mill people and only one airport. Tiger and other small players will be locked out as YSSY is too full. I think the government can sell it if they put strict caps on the type of jets they can use and the movements. I know some people feel passionate about this but it reminds me of all decisions in Australia ( not my backyard policy). I live in the inner west and I hear planes all day and life goes on..
Old 13th April 2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T Syd View Post
My money is on Bankstown. It has the infrastructure and the transport links.
Well yes, but it's suburban right up to the fence all around.
I think the first jet operator into there will raise so much airport noise that it won't last long even if it gets off the ground (sorry ).
Apart from which the runway alignment in combination with Mascot has it's own issues with high performance aircraft, it may not represent a real increase in the capacity of the Sydney Basin.
The real alternative is more like what they did when Tullamarine opened, a new airport miles from anywhere with well advertised noise impact areas.
That does really restrict the choices in the Sydney area, either north or SW along the current high capacity highways.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:17 PM

I think I read while at uni a study done ages ago, setting out that even opening BK to jets would provide only the equivalent of one or two extra slots per hour for Sydney in general, due in part to the disruption caused at the current Mascot airport from the aforementioned clashes in airspace design.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Bugger the politicians. The environmental effects of the 3rd runway in its present form extend far beyond the sea bed that is covered up.
So will the proposed port extensions I'm sure....
I wonder what they did with that old Hydraulics building for modelling Botany Bay that used to be next to Botany Bay just east of where the speed camera is now :-)

I think we might need it back... although I guess computer modelling has taken over that sort of work.
Old 14th April 2008, 09:21 AM

The Japanese can build offshore airports. Hong Kong and Macau have airports on reclaimed land. I don't see why an offshore airport hasn't been considered for Sydney. Yes, it's expensive, but if it can be made to work for Osaka etc (it's not like construction costs in Japan are that low...) surely it could be made to work for a city/airport the size of Sydney.

Alternatively, what about a long taxiway and (at least) a short turboprop-capable runway on Kurnell peninsula?
Old 14th April 2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
The Japanese can build offshore airports. Hong Kong and Macau have airports on reclaimed land. .
2 reasons politicians & sea bed structure

all the 3 quoted has fairly low depth sea beds to conquer, Sydney doe snot have that luxury

Banjo
Old 14th April 2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
what about a long taxiway
The taxi from the Foxtrot bays to the departure end of 34R is already about 6km... you might as well drive the aeroplane all the way to your destination!