Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th December 2011, 10:26 AM

Default SilkAir launches DRW flights

Breakings news from the Travel Daily...

SIA's SilkAir to launch Darwin services

Singapore Airlines & Virgin Australia have jointly announced the launch of new international and domestic services to Darwin.

Effective 26 Mar 2012, Singapore Airlines' subsidiary SilkAir will commence a four times weekly service between Singapore and Darwin, while Virgin Australia will complement the route with a new daily service from Sydney to Darwin, from 02 Apr.

The carriers also confirmed that passengers would be able to begin earning and burning points through their reciprocal frequent flyer programs, KrisFlyer and Velocity, from 20 Dec, along with reciprocal lounge access.

SIA and DJ expect to commence codesharing on each other's services from early 2012, they said.

Furthermore, Virgin Australia announced it would open a lounge facility to accommodate its guests and those of its alliance partners at Darwin Airport.

"We are delighted to be adding Darwin to our network and providing more travel options for our customers as a result of our alliance with Virgin Australia," SilkAir chairman Mak Swee Wah said.

Virgin Australia Group Executive of Alliances, Network & Yield Management Merren McArthur said "together with Singapore Airlines we will be able to offer visitors from Singapore, Asia and Europe the opportunity to visit the Northern Territory and then travel to Sydney and the East Coast of Australia."

More information in today's Travel Daily.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:27 PM
Prolific Member

Aghhhh i got it right again.Back on 20 november. Breaking News ???

http://www.jetspotter.com/forum/phpB...p?f=48&t=12847

Last edited by lloyd fox; 13th December 2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 13th December 2011, 02:27 PM

Good news for Territorians, for years the only option to Singapore was Jetstar or if you were desperate enough Air Asia connecting in Denpasar (on seperate PNR's).

It's good to see Virgin expanding domestically too. The Northern Territory is pretty much one of the last Qantas strongholds' they need to break into.

I'm a bit curious about the timings.

I guess it will be arranged so Silkair leaves Singapore early evening gets into Darwin around Midnight then leaves around 0300 it should get back into Singapore around 0600 local. If this Virgin flight leaves Sydney in the late evening arrives into Darwin around Midnight leaves at 0200 it would get back to Sydney around 0700 (0800 DST Months) similar to the existing Brisbane flight. If they retime the Melbourne flight that would allow passengers from the east coast to make a short connection in Darwin before arriving in Singapore at dawn the same would be true for the return pattern.

I guess time will tell
Old 13th December 2011, 05:33 PM

Did Silk air use to fly to DRW many moons ago? Good they can come back for another go.
Finally Virgin will start a SYD to DRW route its been a big hole in their network they hardly serve the NT capital at the moment with only 3 flights per day. Compared to QF group 20+ daily flights.
Old 13th December 2011, 06:12 PM

Hey Jarden,
SilkAir I don't believe have ever flow to Darwin, many years ago Singapore Airlines did fly here.
Same as Virgin, did at once also have a direct Darwin to Sydney services, which would have been around 2004/5 (I think).
Phillippe
Old 13th December 2011, 09:38 PM

It kind of is 'breaking news' if you consider that all the official announcements are dated 13 December, even more so if you consider that on 20 November the Silkair service was still 11 days away from being commercially viable (ie the ACCC decision).
Old 14th December 2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillippe M View Post
SilkAir I don't believe have ever flow to Darwin, many years ago Singapore Airlines did fly here.
Silk Air have flown limited charters into Darwin in the past.

I am surprised it has taken them this long to start scheduled services. Remember, we are talking about Darwin to the world on a full service airline. I am still confused as to why Qantas completely turn their back on this market. The daily 747SPs were full. Surely a 4pw 73H (in addition to JQ - which does have a place in this market) would have suited? Silk Air seems to think so!
Old 14th December 2011, 08:12 AM

Given yesterday's announcement and the current competitive environment, it wouldn't surprise me at all if QF 73H flights DRW-SIN materialise very soon!
Old 14th December 2011, 09:06 AM

Morning all,

Here are the schedules from http://www.silkair.com/mbe/en_UK/con...1_13122011.jsp

MI802 Dep SIN 1930 Arr DRW 0145 + 1 (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun)
MI801 Dep DRW 0230 Arr SIN 0530 (Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat)

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 14th December 2011, 09:42 AM
Prolific Member

Silk Air have flown charters to DRW before mainly to do with the Asian games.