Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st December 2011, 08:11 PM

Default DHC4 Caribou and Thai seat selection

Have just booked a trip through my works travel agent flying both Thai and Qantas. When I checked the booking on the Thai website I noticed something that gave me a bit of a laugh. On the return I am flying SYD-CBR on a Q400, which according to the Thai booking website is a "DHC4 CARIBOU".

I could but wish this were true...

Also anyone know if you can do advance seat selection flying Thai? Seems as if it isn't possible on their website, though for some reason on one of my 3 sectors with Thai I have a reserved seat (14K on a 744), but not on the other 2.
Old 21st December 2011, 08:19 PM

Hey Ash,

I flew TG last month and they dont let you pre-select seats on domestic flights, im not 100% sure about Int'l flights although I emailed they Sydney office and requested a window seat and they were able to do so.
Old 21st December 2011, 08:25 PM

It seems as if some airlines are still a little behind the times when it comes to this. Indeed if I am not mistaken Thai have only recently allowed you to view a booking made by a travel agent.

I am also flying Turkish who don't seem to give the option, as well as Royal Jordanian who do give the option. The odd thing with Royal Jordanian is their website appears to give you the option to select seats on any sector on the booking, even a non RJ sector, to the point of giving the seat map and allowing you to select, but once you click save it rejects the selections, except for their own flights.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:22 PM

I am in the middle of a return sector on SU, and even they didn't allow seat selection until checking in, and then at best, it was in a very native format...

Also, when I checked in ex SYD, I had beg checked through NRT and SVO to LHR, the return was a little more difficult, as they would only tag it to HKG. I mentioned it was on a single PNR (?) and that it should be, and after nearly 20 mins at the counter, it was fixed! I hope you don't have this same issue!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 22nd December 2011, 05:51 AM

I should be right with through checking of the bags. My outbound flight is to Amman on Qantas, then Thai and finally Royal Jordanian, then a week later 1 RJ flight, then two Turkish flights, one Thai flight, and finally Thai/Qantas back to Aus.

What will be interesting to see is what happens with boarding passes outbound. Last time I flew Qantas to Sydney/Melbourne and then Thai to BKK (5 years ago), Qantas couldn't issue the Thru BP so I had to go to the check in counter at the international terminal to get it. In the case of this trip I have no doubt Qantas can issue a RJ boarding pass, so will be bizarre if they can issue the pass for my 1st and 3rd sectors but not the 2nd. Even better would be if Qantas can issue the Thai pass, they can do SQ so don't see why they couldn't.
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:12 AM

I'm flying on Thai tomorrow from BNE-BKK, I called them for my seat selection. I think seat selection can be done via online check in as well, but that's only 24 hours before the flight. Also, as someone has already mentioned there is no advance seat selection for domestic sectors.