Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 4th April 2008, 07:07 PM

Hi Lukas. I'm also in Yr 12. Where are you going to do your "Bachelor of Aviation" at? Pardon my ignorance but up until your post, my careers adviser and my independent research has shown that the only such degree is at University of New South Wales in Sydney (where I live) if you exclude the whole ADF experience thing using ADFA.
Old 4th April 2008, 09:13 PM

I would suggest your Career Advisor hasn't considered looking outside NSW, in 20 seconds on Google I found the below links to Griffith Uni's, ECU's & Swinburne - note the Griffith & Swinburne ones are the 2 for the QF Cadetship.

http://http://www17.griffith.edu.au/...n&display=open

http://aviation.ecu.edu.au/

http://www.swin.edu.au/aviation/
Old 5th April 2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell D View Post
Hi Lukas. I'm also in Yr 12. Where are you going to do your "Bachelor of Aviation" at? Pardon my ignorance but up until your post, my careers adviser and my independent research has shown that the only such degree is at University of New South Wales in Sydney (where I live) if you exclude the whole ADF experience thing using ADFA.
I am from VIC

Old 6th April 2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks Adam, I checked out the links and they were very helpful. For one thing its at least broadened my tertiary education options. Swinburne and Griffith seem pretty darn good, right up there with UNSW, and so too ECU, although its a fair way away in Perth from Sydney.

I'm guessing you're looking primarily at Swinburne then Lukas?
Old 6th April 2008, 12:17 PM

Absolutley, either the UNI(3yrs), or TAFE(2yrs), I dont really care, as they are very similar

So if I get a crap Enter Score, I can still get into the TAFE Flying course

Old 6th April 2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Mahoney View Post
I hope that attitude doesn't relate to both your high school and tertiary/flying studies.

Work hard and get the results - it will be worth it.
Old 6th April 2008, 06:22 PM

30% through the school year, and UNI is still in the running

Old 6th April 2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Mahoney View Post
Absolutley, either the UNI(3yrs), or TAFE(2yrs), I dont really care, as they are very similar

I resent these comments as I'm doing the TAFE Flying Course this year and I got an ENTER of 87.25. I chose the TAFE course on the length of it and I'm one term in and absolutely loving it. I see some of the Uni students and they are always complaining about not flying much and all the lectures on HPL where as at TAFE, we have a pre-flight or lesson from 0830 until 1130 or 1200 and then fly in the afternoon for an hour.
Old 6th April 2008, 08:03 PM

Why do you all seem to think that getting your commercial pilot licence through a Uni or TAFE is the only option??

You can simply walk up to the flying school, pay the same money (if not less because you only do what YOU need to do), and have your CPL inside of one year.

You all need to do a lot more homework I think.

Floody
Old 6th April 2008, 08:53 PM

Floody I think this can be attributed to the influence of America where there are huge colleges there such as Embry-Riddle Aeronautical College in the US and various other unis etc where its been a norm to get cpl etc and learn at a uni, with perception there that a degree will aid job prospects etc

Whilst these arent essential for airlines like direct entry to qf or the cadetships a uni course couldnt hurt and in some cases are preferential in applications (but in these times of a pilot shortage it is less important imho) but i agree somewhat a 3 yr course is a bit ardous if not a cadetship with an airline or guaranteed employment, after all there is the opportunity to do a uni course once established and in an airline via long distance or even part time as many airline/commercial pilots do. But I have no problems with these courses and most are very good,
but then again I wont ask you about cadetships floody coz we know what you think

Thats my take anyways,
Matt