Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th January 2010, 09:20 AM

Default Unusual flight path? Mt Druitt area

Lazing back in my backyard in suburban Mt. Druitt last night watching the stars 'n (distant) planes 'n things, lo and behold, a commercial jet flew straight over my place at around 10 pm ish.

This is the first time in living memory one of these has done this.

It was heading directly west at a fairly low height, then banked to the left and basically did a U turn over Mt Druitt before climbing and heading ENE until I lost sight of it in the distance.

We get commercial planes ex Mascot that either follow the Great Western Highway westward, or other ones that head NW over Rooty Hill area all day long, however, except for when there are thunderstorms present, movements such as last night never occur.

(To possibly help narrow it down timewise, a few moments earlier, another commercial jet was also heading this way from the east, then banked to the right around Quakers Hill before disappearing.)

Does anybody know what it was, and why, on a calm, clear night it would have done this?
Old 12th January 2010, 02:12 PM

I saw, or rather heard, the Emirates A380 go over. It travelled directly west along the great Western Highway past Mt Druitt.

These other two occurred shortly after and were also further north of the standard western flight path.. the second one flying over Blacktown, Rooty Hill North, Oakhurst, Blackett thence sharp left hand 190 degree turn climbing towards northern beaches.

Bit of luck it might be a new flight path ..take off from Mascot, fly out over my backyard, do a 'u ey' then head off to Bris or US etc !!
Old 12th January 2010, 02:58 PM

First : Malaysian 140 to KL which flew directly over Mt.Druitt the changed direction to about NE, 21.52 Local time

Second: Philippine Airlines PR212 to MEL went over Blacktown then tracked south towards MEL, 21.58 Local time.
Old 12th January 2010, 05:06 PM

It sounds like it might have been the Malaysian unit.

If so, why would it have flown fairly low to Mt Druitt, then done a virtual 180 to then go in the wrong direction to KL ??

As I mentioned it then kept flying ENE until I lost sight of it behind trees. That would have put it nearly to the northern beaches.
Old 12th January 2010, 05:21 PM

Sorry Jeff... MAS 140 was heading to BNE.
Old 12th January 2010, 05:47 PM

This departure is not new, just uncommon. Mainly it is used for heavy jets departing 34L to head NE or E, but still jet departures NE or E, for eg the USA get giving headings from the runway that pretty much keep the aircraft departing upwind rather than turning out west.

In the last few years, departures to NZ have gone off 34R rather than 34L, however, the EK 388 to AKL would use this departure tracking to 12miles DME before turning right to track east.

I also believe a similar departure is used for north bound jets off runway 25.
Old 12th January 2010, 06:44 PM

There was a V Australia 777 around that time did a big left hand circle due to traffic. It headed out over the northern beaches to LAX i think.

Watched it on planeplotter do the big circle and went out in my back yard to watch it. Was fairly low.

Maybe thats was it?

I only noticed it because of its unusual track.
Old 12th January 2010, 07:29 PM

Aha....it seems that MAS 140 was the first aircraft that I saw, ie the one that headed west to Blacktown then banked to the right and headed somewhere between north and east on it's way to Brisbane, whilst the V Australia aircraft would have been the one that did the 190 degree westbound left hand turn over Mt Druitt.

Thanks for your responses...at least now I will be able to sleep tonight (after 11pm that is!)