Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 11th July 2008, 12:39 PM

I believe that the best places are at each end of the runway. At one end there is a dirt cutout from the road and anything landing can be seen perfectly, while at the other end there is a shaded road to park, although the view of oncoming traffic is kind of cut out by a few buildings.
Old 11th July 2008, 02:16 PM

The information centre is pretty good, One assumes with the current westerly winds, operations will be on 28.

The media are expecting a lot of people there, not some much for our interest, but to get a glimpse of the Pope.

One assumes the RAAF won't be re-enforcing their photographic laws?!
Old 11th July 2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew mcdonald View Post
I believe that the best places are at each end of the runway. At one end there is a dirt cutout from the road and anything landing can be seen perfectly, while at the other end there is a shaded road to park, although the view of oncoming traffic is kind of cut out by a few buildings.
I can almost guarantee there will be special event clearways along the roadways at both ends of the runway at Richmond...good luck!
Old 12th July 2008, 05:54 PM

Default Fasten your Holy See belts - here comes AZ4000

Update - edited excerpts from this morning's Sydney Morning Herald (page 7, column 1):

Quote:

Since 1964 popes have always flown out of Rome with Italy's national carrier, Alitalia - always using the same call sign, AZ4000 - while the host country's national carrier usually returns him to the Vatican.

And while air traffic controllers often joke about clearing "Shepherd One" for take-off and landing, Pope Benedict's flight out of Rome bound for Sydney this morning certainly won't be economy class.

"The first class cabin will appear very very different ... at least two big comfortable arm chairs - not like airline seats at all - a bed for His Holiness, work tables, baskets of flowers and a kneeler and crucifix for inflight prayer", a seasoned Vatican observer told the Herald.

Alitalia tries to share the roster among its pilots and onboard personnel who apparently scramble for the honour of looking after the Pope - and for the chance to pose for the much treasured, traditional photo call at the door of the aircraft before departure.

The flight to Sydney is on a Boeing 777 and while the first class cabin is set aside for the pontiff alone, the cabin behind, usually configured as business class, will become home ... to the 27-strong Vatican entourage that is accompanying him to Sydney, with 44 journalists (including 5 Australians) filling the economy class cabin as the media contingent.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:16 PM

I will be heading out to Richmond tomorrow. Can anyone give me some decent roads to go on like the Motorways as this will be my longest trip by myself as im still on my red P's I will research a little more but i understand there will be some road closes as the pope is staying at Kenthurst or something for a few days.

Tim
Old 12th July 2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
I will be heading out to Richmond tomorrow. Can anyone give me some decent roads to go on like the Motorways as this will be my longest trip by myself as im still on my red P's I will research a little more but i understand there will be some road closes as the pope is staying at Kenthurst or something for a few days.

Tim
Tim depending on where you are coming from, there would be one main way to get out to richmond. Get on to the M7, either from M4, M5, M2 and take the Richmond Rd exit. Follow Richmond Rd up past Windsor downs, and at the roundabout, turn right(george st). Follow this until you go under the rail bridge and then there is a set of lights. Turn left. this road runs parallel to the railway line and the air base is on your right at Clarendon. My best tip for parking would be the hawksbury race track(on the other side of the railway line to the air base, and then walk back across.)
Old 12th July 2008, 07:29 PM

Tim,

From Cronulla.......Get onto the M5 and then take the M7... From there, follow Kierans directions

Jason
Old 12th July 2008, 07:31 PM

M5 and M7 and then onto Old Windsor Road.

If you want to avoid the ridiculous tolls, you can go King Georges Rd, M4, James Ruse Drive and Old Windsor Road.

There shouldn't be any major road closures out this way. I think the majority will be near the city.

EDIT: Lol, we all replied at the same time.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:59 PM

Hi All,

Here is a further update taken from Reuters:

Quote:
Pope leaves Rome for Australia trip
Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:09am EDT

Pope Benedict left Rome on Saturday for a trip to Australia to preside at the Roman Catholic Church's World Day of Youth events.

The chartered Alitalia B777 plane carrying the pope, his entourage and journalists left Rome's Fiumicino airport for the 15 hour, 45 minute non-stop flight to Darwin, where it will make a re-fuelling stop before continuing to Sydney.

He returns to Rome on July 21 at the end of his ninth trip outside Italy since his election in 2005.
Stuart
Old 12th July 2008, 09:03 PM

Channel 7 showed footage of EI-DBL taxiing at Rome with the Papal pendants showing above the cockpit windows.