Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 27th May 2010, 12:24 PM

Default Jetstar/Qantas Domestic question:

Just a quick one for those more learned on the subject:

Somewat hypothetical scenario:
I am looking at flying Sydney-Melbourne(YMML) on Jetstar and need to arrive in MEL no later then 9:30am (for example).

There is a Jetstar flight which departs Sydney around 7:30/45am which will get me to Melbourne in time....all going well.
However if this flight is cancelled or delayed (30+mins), the next scheduled JQ flight arrives in MEL approx 11am - too late for me.

In this scenario what is my options and what is standard procedure for the airline?

Will Jetstar put me on their next flight to Melbourne (getting me there well after the needed 9:30am arrival time) or can Jetstar put me on the next available Qantas flight instead as part of the codeshare agreement?

cheers
Old 27th May 2010, 01:11 PM

Your concerns are valid, however I am compelled to make mention that Qantas/Jetstar operations are kept pretty far apart. Qantas` relationship with Jetstar are sperated by cost base issues. I would consider it to be highly unlikely that you would be "put on" a Qantas flight if your Jetstar flight went unserviced for any reason.

Your best bet would be to initially book with Qantas (sorry to fly in the face of your planning) as their flight frequencies are greater and there shouldn't be too many issues with being reassigned to the next flight, so long as there are seats on the next flight that match your fare type (i.e. the cheaper the fare the less likely this is on the day of travel).

I would also recommend analysing the conditions of carriage associated with the fare type you also book yourself on; Red eDeal vs Super Saver vs Fully Flex etc...

I could also reccomend finding cheap travel insurance that would reimburse you with any associated cost with re-organising your travel plans due to unforeseen circumstances. Same day travel ticketing purchases can be quiet expensive and would easily be more than the cost of basic travel insurance. Once again find out what the travel isurance actually covers you for, a simple phone call should do the trick as it is easier than reading through the encyclopedia they call a PDS (product disclosure statement).

The codeshare agreement is mainly utilised by the Qantas Group at ticketing level. As we know there are destinations Qantas Mainline does not fly to anymore and thusly the codeshare agreement is in place to make this process more transparent. I would not put too much weight on this agreement that would otherwise help you on the day of travel.

Hope this is helpful....and good luck!

Last edited by Villy Curtin; 27th May 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 27th May 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villy Curtin View Post
Your best bet would be to initially book with Qantas (sorry to fly in the face of your planning) as their flight frequencies are greater and there shouldn't be too many issues with being reassigned to the next flight, so long as there are seats on the next flight that match your fare type (i.e. the cheaper the fare the less likely this is on the day of travel).
Couldn't agree more. If I really do have strict deadlines to meet in regards to arrival times, then Qantas is certainly the safer option.
However just thought I'd just question the Qantas/Jetstar relationship.

Quote:
I could also reccomend finding cheap travel insurance that would reimburse you with any associated cost with re-organising your travel plans due to unforeseen circumstances. Same day travel ticketing purchases can be quiet expensive and would easily be more than the cost of basic travel insurance.
I was aiming to make this small trip as cheap as possible, hence the consideration of Jetstar over Qantas and travel insurance would make the final cost a little more expensive then hoped for.
Although travel insurance is very sound advice.

Quote:
Hope this is helpful
Very much.
Thankyou!
Old 27th May 2010, 01:31 PM

Adam, I can give you some personal experience. I have travelled with JQ on plenty of times without any issues. The rate of cancelled flights across JQ, DJ and QF is quite low so you would be unlucky for an aircraft to go u/s.

In saying that, travelling first thing in the morning is probably better. Either the aircraft you will be travelling on will be operating its first sector of the day, or the second at worst. An aircraft going u/s is more likely to impact operations for the rest of the day if they can't get a replacement quickly.

I think if you are really concerned about it, go with the QF option.
Old 27th May 2010, 03:45 PM

JQ are forever dumping their pax on QF off their cancelled or delayed flights. Nothing to do with any codeshare arrangement though I might add.

So if its cancelled you may end up on QF or the next JQ flight depending if they have seats or not.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I would consider it to be highly unlikely that you would be "put on" a Qantas flight if your Jetstar flight went unserviced for any reason.
Happens regularly enough. When disrupted, Qantas is Jetstar's preferred option when accommodating passengers on another carrier, or even to move the passengers before the next JQ service.

And don't believe everything you hear. I have had Jetstar customers complain (for various reasons) that they have ended up on a QF service.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth U View Post
... Qantas is Jetstar's preferred option when accommodating passengers on another carrier.....
What a fascinating choice of words.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:13 PM

i got a text message from JQ when flying from mel to per in february saying my afternoon flight to per had been cancelled and to call them to make arrangements. They offered me a choice of 2 qantas flights, tomorrows jq flight or a full refund. I naturally took the qantas flights, was a nice upgrade to per!
Old 31st May 2010, 10:52 AM

Intersting feedback, thanks for your replies.

For a seperate flight, another question has arisen regarding flight changes:
I have booked a Qantas red E-deal, however would like to change my booking to the next scheduled flight departing an hour later.
Am I correct in reading that changing a flight booking online will result in a $50 fee?

If so, what is stopping me from cancelling the flight, getting the flight credit from that, then using the credit to book a 'new' flight.....thus avoiding the 'change of flight' fee ?
Old 31st May 2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.S View Post
If so, what is stopping me from cancelling the flight, getting the flight credit from that, then using the credit to book a 'new' flight.....thus avoiding the 'change of flight' fee ?
Not 100% sure but I think if you cancel a red-e deal, there is no refund.