Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 5th February 2009, 05:27 PM

Default $1 fares from 20:00 tonight

From Virgin Blue :

Quote:
Thursday 5 February 2009: To celebrate the first anniversary of the launch of Virgin Blue services between Canberra - Sydney and Canberra - Coolangatta, as well as Port Macquarie – Sydney and Albury – Sydney, Virgin Blue is launching an internet only ‘$1 for one hour’ sale today, Thursday 5 February, 2009.

One thousand seats will be on sale for just $1* (inclusive of taxes) from 8.00pm (EST) for one hour or until sold out for flights across the four city pairs Canberra – Sydney, Canberra – Coolangatta, Port Macquarie – Sydney and Albury – Sydney.

Following the introduction of Embraer E-Jets to its fleet in December 2007, Virgin Blue concentrated its resources on launching regular jet services between major city centres and key regional ports in a bid to revive competition for travellers.

The addition of flights to these markets was the first time an executive-style jet aircraft service had been offered on these routes which were traditionally serviced by turbo-prop aircraft.

Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, “It’s obvious travellers to and from these regional ports appreciate the comfort, convenience and affordability of regular jet services as our services have been well supported.

“Importantly these services have also helped by providing a critical link to major business centres such as Sydney and beyond as well as giving a shot in the arm for the tourism and business sectors of these regional areas.”

Currently Virgin Blue operates eight return flights each week day between Canberra – Sydney, double daily flights between Port Macquarie – Sydney and Albury – Sydney and daily flights between Canberra – Coolangatta.

Since launching services to Albury and Port Macquarie Virgin Blue has also progressively added 14 connecting flight options to enable Guests a wide range of network connecting options to each of these ports.

Lead-in fares on most of these routes have also decreased over the last year giving travellers even more reasons to pack their bags.

“Virgin Blue has proven that not everything in the market gets more expensive with time, by introducing some decent competition on these routes we’ve encouraged other operators to lower their fares to remain relevant which has resulted in more affordable travel for all,” Brett Godfrey finished.

*Seats are limited and may not be available at peak times or on all flights. Checked baggage charges will apply. Pre-pay $8 online for up to 23kg of checked baggage per person per one way flight, or pay $20 at the airport for the same allowance. Fares are one way on the net. You cannot cancel these fares and obtain a credit for use later. Fares are for travel from 29 April, 2009 - 25 June, 2009. Visit www.virginblue.com.au for more information.
Old 5th February 2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up Anthony. I booked Port Macquarie and Canberra (x2) for $6. The booking process ran very very smoothly with no delay. Maybe DJ has a brilliant booking system or not many people know about this or both?

Either way they will be a good day trip

Last edited by Michael Mak; 5th February 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:04 PM

Dam! I had pretty much booked and it finished a 10pm! I was doing SYD-CBR-SYD. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:49 PM

I booked myself a SYD-CBR return for $2 (with no credit card surcharge ). The only downside is they were not able to process my credit card immediately and my booking thus remain 'pending' for now.

None
Old 5th February 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
I booked myself a SYD-CBR return for $2 (with no credit card surcharge ). The only downside is they were not able to process my credit card immediately and my booking thus remain 'pending' for now.
Same here, I got the reservation number. It says that if they payment cannot go through, DJ will contact us.