Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 29th January 2009, 09:44 PM

Andrew,

The first two maps with nav points were downloaded from the PP forum on Yahoo groups and the satellite view map comes as part of PP. Remember, you can also use Google Earth in conjunction with PP as well!

Pat
Old 31st January 2009, 12:56 PM

OK so finally got a registered version, but only problem now is that I can't seem to see any aircraft? I've just got a blank screen with a map on it?

Anyone with any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gerard
Old 31st January 2009, 01:01 PM

Have you clicked on the green circle button?
Old 31st January 2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel F View Post
Have you clicked on the green circle button?
Ok so i closed it and started it up again and clicked the green button again and now im seeing little yellow planes so i guess its working?

Thanks for that Daniel and everyone else that helped.

Gerard

Last edited by Gerard M; 31st January 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 1st February 2009, 11:48 PM

I just have one other question if anyone can help.

When i start PlanePlotter up, i get an error message saying
"No flight route database. Check log file directory is writeable."

Anyone know what this means?

Thanks again.

Gerard
Old 2nd February 2009, 08:09 AM

Gerard, not 100% sure what this is about, but sounds like that you need to ensure that PP knows where your log files are located on your PC.

Goto Options, click on Directories, then on Log Files and navigate to wherever you have the log files stored. Most likely it's C:\Program Files\COAA\PlanePlotter\log files. Click on log files and that should put "log files" in the space at the top.

A file call "flightroutes" will be built up as you receive data from the COAA server with flight route information.

The only other thing that could be causing the problem is that the flightroute data file is a read only and therefore can't accept updating info.

Hope that helps.

Noel White
Old 6th February 2009, 04:26 PM

Ah, ok thanks for the help Noel. Checked the file and it is a read only file. Not sure how to change that so its still coming up with the error message.

One other thing, I've noticed that when i have the plane plotter zoomed out to either a global view or just a complete view of Australia, it can pick up military flights, like the RAAF and usaf c-17s and c130s but when u zoom into just a view of say NSW or Queensland, they don't come up? How come they don't show when zoomed in but only when zoomed out?

Thanks again in advance.

Gerard
Old 6th February 2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Ah, ok thanks for the help Noel. Checked the file and it is a read only file. Not sure how to change that so its still coming up with the error message.
Right click on the file name. Click properties, and click on the the "read only" box. The tick should disappear.
Old 7th February 2009, 07:19 AM

Gerard, basically a/c fall into four categories as far as SBS-1 and AirNav's RadarBox owners are concern. Fully equipped ADS-B a/c (which transmits full data incl lat & lon), partial ADS-B a/c (full data but no lat & lon), ModeS a/c (some data but no lat & lon) and non equipped a/c.

With full ADS-B we are able to see and plot their location. The second and third type of a/c we can "see" that they are within range but their location cannot be plotted because their lat & lon is not transmitted.

As you know PlanePlotter is feed by data received from SBS=1/RadarBox owners from around the world and can only display actual plots when lat & lons is available. There is an add on to PP called MyCircles which estimates where non position reporting a/c are but that requires a number of feeders seeing these a/c like a form of triangulation.

The only ADF a/c currently equipped with full ADS-B are the RAAF's VIP B737 & the Army's 3 Kingairs. The C17's & C130J's fall into the type 2 category while some C130H's, VIP CL60s and the School of Nav Kingsairs are only ModeS equipped so they unfortunately don't show up on PP. Likewise you will won't see visiting USAF or RAF a/c.

Other a/c like the Qantas' Dash 8s and Virgin's Embraers are only ModeS equipped as well as some older B737, B767 & REX's SAABs. However some of REX's are slowly being upgraded and are now displaying full ADS-B.

Each Australian registered a/c is allocated a hexcode. Starting with VH-AAA = 7C0000 to VH-ZZZ = 7C822D and when (or if) they have either ModeS or ADS-B equipment installed uses that hexcode to i/d themselves to the system. Unfortunately a small number of a/c display the wrong hexcode like VH-XSG (finger trouble) or are still using their country of origin hexcode like VH-DTO, however, when the PP feeders from around the world unite and come to power, we will sort that lot out .

Hope that helps to explain why you don't see certain types on PP.

Noel White
Old 7th February 2009, 07:27 AM

Sorry Gerard, forgot to answer your question regarding why you can see C17's and C130's when you zoom out but not when zoomed in. I don't know. I didn't think it was possible seeing they don't transmit their position normally.

BTW are you downloading close in satellite images of the area you are watching. Try clicking on 14th button from the left. You can download images right down to your street.

Noel White