Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th April 2008, 11:20 AM

Default Spot the Error

OK, I know it's sunny outside for the first time in, what, 14 days(!), but I've found a couple of interesting anomolies on Google Earth's (free version) current view of YSSY - can anyone else spot them?

33°56'27.60"S, 151°10'29.41"E

One is fairly obvious, but the other is a toughie. Hint - you'll need to zoom in really close...

Cheers
Old 26th April 2008, 12:50 PM
Prolific Member

You're not looking at the 'Building a Better Airport' writing all across the top of the Ops building roof, are you?

There is a Dash-8 facing South on Rwy 16R between Golf and Rwy 07/25, and there's a Thai B747 lining up for Rwy 34L at Alpha-6 at the same time.
Me thinks they were about to do a runway change...there's a Qantas B737 just vacating off on Bravo-7 turning northbound onto Bravo.

The photo was taken during the height of the A380 preparation works.

Last edited by Nigel C; 26th April 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 26th April 2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
You're not looking at the 'Building a Better Airport' writing all across the top of the Ops building roof, are you?

There is a Dash-8 facing South on Rwy 16R between Golf and Rwy 07/25, and there's a Thai B747 lining up for Rwy 34L at Alpha-6 at the same time.
Me thinks they were about to do a runway change...there's a Qantas B737 just vacating off on Bravo-7 turning northbound onto Bravo.

The photo was taken during the height of the A380 preparation works.
Hey Nigel

Yes and no - certainly the Thai 747 and the Q400 facing each other was one of the anomolies, but me thinks more than one satellite pass went into covering the whole airport...that's another clue for the second 'anomoly'.

Cheers
Old 26th April 2008, 02:02 PM

Is it the 3 SQ 747's there... 2 at the terminal and the 3rd parked next to the VS A340 and UA 747?
Old 26th April 2008, 02:05 PM

Actually... I think I found it... HS-TGT is at the terminal at the same time as being at the 34L.
Old 26th April 2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel F View Post
Actually... I think I found it... HS-TGT is at the terminal at the same time as being at the 34L.
Ding ding ding ding...give that man a stuffed Gorilla! Good spotting there Daniel!

Might be a good idea for an ongoing thread...a 'what's wrong with this picture' or 'spot the error' thread?

Daniel - care to take up the challenge and submit a pic?

Are the mods able to change the thread title?

Let me know what you prefer - amsy

Last edited by Andrew McLaughlin; 26th April 2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 26th April 2008, 10:34 PM

I have one, although it is not aviation related, does that matter?

Have a look at Sydney Olympic Park, not so much for something wrong but considering the photos on Google Earth are not taken/updated all that often there is certainly something unusual with on of the venues.

Cheers

M
Old 26th April 2008, 11:07 PM

I gather there are photo over lapse errors.

Up until a couple weeks ago, next to the QE2 parked in Circular Quay, it showed one ferry 'crashed' into another.

Just like my car is parked in my driveway, and it is also parked at my work... 30 km away!
Old 27th April 2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Grima View Post
I have one, although it is not aviation related, does that matter?

Have a look at Sydney Olympic Park, not so much for something wrong but considering the photos on Google Earth are not taken/updated all that often there is certainly something unusual with on of the venues.

Cheers

M
Mark

If you mean the cricket pitch inside the Olympic Stadium (sorry, I refuse to call it Telstra or ANZ or whatever it is this week!), yeah, pretty unusual!

I was actually looking at Olympic Park on Friday morning before I took the kids down to see the Hornet flyby of the Roosters-Dragons match, and noticed the pitch then.

They played a couple of state Twenty20 games there last year and they have a drop-in pitch for the stadium.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 27th April 2008, 10:53 AM

Anyone seen the Manly Ferry at Circular Quay on Google Earth?

By the way, Google Earth takes like a few pictures of each area and lays them over each other, so thats why you see 2 TG planes.

Quick update on Manly Ferry: The half-sunk one isnt there anymore