Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2008, 02:37 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C
Are you a journalist or a budding journalist? You should know that misquoting people is not very nice.

your post is over the top,

Banjo
And your opinion here is valued and noted.

Isn't it funny that people here are so critical of the medias reporting of events because of the inaccuracies...I wonder where some of the inaccuracies come from?

Thus far I haven't seen anything in the media about this 'event', but it would be fair to say the media most probably do browse boards such as this one looking for a headline.

All I'm saying is if people witness an event and want to comment on it, then please try to make it accurate, and don't sensationalise it. I'm certainly not trying to censure Tim.

Regards,
Old 1st May 2008, 02:43 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
Why are you having a go at me for reporting something i saw happen yesterday?
Not having a go at you for reporting it, but just asking that you make it factually accurate and not stretch the truth.

And for what it's worth, the runway was closed for about half of your quoted time of 'about 1 hour'

Quote:
Is there anything i can say and you won't get angry?
I'm not angry, but I am a straight shooter. I'll tell it how I see it, and if that offends you then it's not my problem.
If you come to the Rowers on the 17th, then come and have a talk to me. I won't bite your head off, I promise.

Regards,
Nigel
Old 1st May 2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I'd rather hear from Nigel that would have more accurate information than a post full of hearsay.
Well Nigel didn't post the topic did he so just make do with what you got and appreciate the fact someone put this thread up for those of us who appreciate the info.

I didn't see any rules anywhere which state all posts must be 100% accurate and must not contain traces of hearsay. Tim relayed the info as best he could. If it's not up to your pristine standards of modern journalism, don;t reply.
Old 1st May 2008, 05:35 PM

The guy was there. He is stating what he saw and heard. What's wrong with that? While not quoted directly it sounds as though he has heard someone say something about seeing "hundreds of little bits of shredded tyre". Being that the airport is a restricted area I think it is safe to say that whoever made the comment has some idea of whats going on and it hasn't come from Joe Bloggs walking his dog down the runway. On the other hand if he (Tim) did make it up then I'm sure he would fit in really well at somewhere like The Daily Telegraph.

Tim, maybe if you can recall who made the statement about the shredded tyre some of the doubters here may know this person and can challenge "them" as to what they saw.
Old 1st May 2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Well Nigel didn't post the topic did he so just make do with what you got and appreciate the fact someone put this thread up for those of us who appreciate the info.

I didn't see any rules anywhere which state all posts must be 100% accurate and must not contain traces of hearsay. Tim relayed the info as best he could. If it's not up to your pristine standards of modern journalism, don;t reply.
The story was full of sensationalistic Hyperbole

"Giant Cloud of smoke" - Compared to what?

"Like the concorde" - What are DJ flying big white delta winged aircraft now? Did it crash and kill the passengers? I bet the relatives of those who perished on the Concorde wish it was just a blown tyre.

"Hundreds of bits of shredded tyre" - Well was there a count made?

I'd expect this sort of over-reactive reporting in the Daily Telegraph not on a message board. I was waiting for an interview with one of the passengers who 'feared for their lives'.

I, and I know may others, would like to know the real facts not sensationalised pieced together supposition.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 1st May 2008, 08:59 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S... 2 View Post
Looks like Nigel likes to notch up alot of posts - 267 in just over a month.
And your point is...?

I'm not really sure of the relevance of this post to this, or indeed any other topic.

If I've missed something, then please feel free to share!
Old 1st May 2008, 09:29 PM

You're all idiots.
Old 1st May 2008, 09:36 PM
Prolific Member

Haha!

I know you're probably referring to me as well, but nice call!
Old 1st May 2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
I'd rather hear from Nigel that would have more accurate information than a post full of hearsay.

Stephen,

How is Tim's post hearsay??

From memory, Hearsay is something that someone did not personally see, hear or otherwise perceive. (not exact definition but similar to)It's from a section in the Evidence Act.

Also, I remember that you posted something a little while back about a "trend by younger posters to discount correct information that has been posted by the professionals that inhabit the board..." (Sorry couldnt get the qoute thing to work)

Why are you discounting information as perceived by a fellow board member? Hope it's not because he is young. He was there. He saw and heard what went on and wrote about it on here because he thought others might be interested. So far it would seem that there no professionals have come forward and filled us all in on the exact circumstances.

Bring on the photos Tim.
Old 1st May 2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roope View Post
You're all idiots.

so you finally said it after talking it up....