Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 4th August 2012, 01:57 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

How's your setup going Henning?
Old 4th August 2012, 04:41 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Looks like the transmissions from E160 on 3/8/2012 were from Korean Air flight KAL121 operated by HL7752 RKSI-YSSY.

Kurt, You can add HL7752 to the Black List, also CC-CQE
Old 4th August 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A View Post
How's your setup going Henning?
It's quite good. But as expected my reception varies for different directions. I am running SBSplotter since today and will post a screenshot the with the SBSplotter outlines the next days.
I've got the best reception in the north-east. North-west is ok. But west and south there is a hill in the way and in the east there are two houses.

In the north-east direction I have received a couple of flights today north of Port MacQuarie. And the plane that was the most far away was a Pacific Blue Airlines 737-800. I received it 237.7NM away in north-east direction.

I have also downloaded ShipPlotter now as the SBS-3 can also receive AIS signals. I've got an ocean view from my apartment and now I always know which ships I can see out there. It's really cool. And for AIS I don't even have a special antenna.

For ADS-B I am using the GP1090 antenna with a 5m Aircell 5 cable. Unfortunately I cannot mount my antenna outside. It's a rental apartment. So I've got the antenna right behind the window. For these circumstances I am really satisfied with my reception.

I am currently running BaseStation, PlanePlotter as MLat-Ground Station, Active Display Lite for the Aircraft Details, Flight Display to get route data and pictures and SBSplotter for to review my reception. I have also downloaded a PP Addon called PP2GM to show the flights on a Google Maps map. But I didn't have time to test that, yet.
I've got operator logos installed and downloaded detailed outlines for the SYD area. Also a waypoint file with all the airports around SYD.

After setting all this up, I like the SBS-3 much more than my RadarBox. I can do a lot more with it. But I really hope that Kinetic will update the BaseStation software one day. It looks very old fashioned.
My favourite solution would be an out-of-the box solution like the RadarBox software with all the data that PlanePlotter provides and the configurability of BaseStation plus undockable windows so that I can show several views at the same time on different screens.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am also feeding flightradar24.

And if any of you guys thinks that I might need another great add-on that I've missed so far, just let me know :-)

Last edited by Henning S; 4th August 2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention FlightRadar
Old 4th August 2012, 10:58 PM

Thanks Henning for sharing your details, great report. Sounds like you have things set up nicely.

Noel White
Old 5th August 2012, 12:01 AM

Yep, it's working fine! And I've got the SBS-3 connected to one of the LAN ports of my WLAN router. If I want I can access it now even from the office. And when I am sick the next time and need to stay in my bed I can take my laptop with me and still have a look at what's going on in the sky :-)
Old 5th August 2012, 02:01 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Thanks Grahame, I will get around to updating it.

Henning - Super effort on the setup. Sounds like you're right on top of things. Bummer on the apartment aspect though because you'd do so much better in open space. Also, mobile feed on the laptop is way cool eh, especially during the Olympics, ha!
I'd love to steal your Wimo GP1090 for a day and test it sometime. Don't know of anyone else in Sydney using one of those. They've also got a super price ex VAT on the SBS3 box, so good work on sourcing that too.

Noel - Did you get Henning set up with SQLite to enable manual updates to the FD7 database?
Old 5th August 2012, 08:21 AM

hmm..not that ive seen Kurt, if you do look to get one let me know, might do a combo shipping deal and save the coin on shipping if we get a couple.

Well I scored 63 flights tracked at 1 time this morning...but avg of 120 nm so i need more range
Old 5th August 2012, 09:33 AM

Some shots from this morning, coverage is decent, getting down to 250'

Old 5th August 2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A View Post
I'd love to steal your Wimo GP1090 for a day and test it sometime. Don't know of anyone else in Sydney using one of those. They've also got a super price ex VAT on the SBS3 box, so good work on sourcing that too.

Noel - Did you get Henning set up with SQLite to enable manual updates to the FD7 database?
Kurt, whereabouts do you live? I don't mind lending you my antenna for a day. I haven't mounted it so I simply need to disconnect the cable.

No, I haven't setup SQLite. But that wouldn't be a problem at all. My question is: What do I need it for? What kind of manual updates to the FD7 database do I need to do?
Old 5th August 2012, 12:49 PM

Id be interested to see Kurts results with antenna change...Id feel more comfortable spending the money if an antenna worked better and I saw the results by others.

At the moment im using the radar Rama antenna that has 5dbi gain...its a short thing