Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 1st June 2017, 07:11 AM

About 9 or so weeks
Old 1st June 2017, 08:28 AM

Great to see at least some support from the airport towards spotters. A little promotion and a coffee cart franchise and it could turn into a real little destination!

And also longer term recognition of Shep.
Old 1st June 2017, 09:55 AM

Great news indeed and can't come soon enough!

Has anybody come across any further information online regarding the final design? This concept drawing seems pretty bare bones to me... Toilet facilities, access to a fresh water supply and extra shelter from the elements would make a visit to the mound a more enjoyable experience for the public? Sitting in your car enjoying the view in all weather conditions will no longer be an option based on the lower level location of the car park shown in this picture.
Old 1st June 2017, 11:17 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

I'm hoping to be able to share some more information about the project as a whole early next week, though what I can share; with first shovel taking place in early June, you can expect to be plane spotting again at Shep's Mound by September this year!
Old 1st June 2017, 05:58 PM

Thanks Kurt!

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 1st June 2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJ View Post
Great news indeed and can't come soon enough!

Has anybody come across any further information online regarding the final design? This concept drawing seems pretty bare bones to me... Toilet facilities, access to a fresh water supply and extra shelter from the elements would make a visit to the mound a more enjoyable experience for the public? Sitting in your car enjoying the view in all weather conditions will no longer be an option based on the lower level location of the car park shown in this picture.
I would be just grateful in what your getting full stop!

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 1st June 2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilkes View Post
I would be just grateful in what your getting full stop!
lol are you for real man? Why on earth should second best be good enough when I comes to a no doubt once in a lifetime opportunity like this?
Old 1st June 2017, 08:16 PM

So how much money are you going to put towards sewage and water?
You want too much! Be lucky you're getting what you are and that they're not closing the place down!

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 1st June 2017, 08:19 PM

I've got a great idea. Lets have an argument on the internet!

This is an opportunity to showcase Sydney Airport on a truly global scale by delivering a world class spotting facility. Lets hope for the best!
Old 1st June 2017, 09:10 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Thumbs up

Unfortunately arguing will get us nowhere real quick ;-)

Having said that, I do partly agree with both of you.

On one hand, with anything like this, there is always a long wishlist of things that we'd like to have, my wishlist included. And on the other hand, I can also appreciate there are many challenges to equally meet those expectations; government approvals and budget etc.

Of course, the site is Sydney Airport's to develop as they please, though the project team have designed a space that will greatly improve the current area to ensure its longevity, it will formally commemorate a recognised and familiar "plane spotter" which is hugely welcomed, it will also be safe, secure, well manicured and will offer equal to improved viewing than currently exists.

Let's be fair, any redevelopment is better than what is current; and whilst I acknowledge the cries for toilets, cafe's, removal of light poles, more elevation, less trees, different parking arrangements etc.... some of those become redundant due to nearby facilities and others due to budget, site limitations, approvals etc.

Design aside, and I'm sure most will agree; I have to say, I'm very pleased and thankful that Sydney Airport has considered redeveloping this site, and with "plane spotters" in mind. This is the first land-side project in a very long time (since the Observation Deck) that has hit the drawing board, and in our favour. Alone, that speaks wonders for the Airport's commitment to community, which we should all be very excited about and thankful for.

Let's keep positive. September isn't a long way away, and again, I hope to share some more information on the project in general and it's progress over the coming weeks. Stay tuned :-)