Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 5th January 2009, 02:47 PM

Default Planeplotter HELP!!!!

Just got myself and registered Planeplotter.

My question is, how real time is it?

While listening to the radio, i cant seem to find any of the aircraft actually speaking. I know that not all aircraft are picked up but the Qantas, virgin etc are.

I hear "direct to katoomba" and look on pp and never see it

am i doing somethingg wrong
Old 5th January 2009, 03:22 PM

I have PlanePlotter and can possibly assist.

The server transmits data every 60 seconds from memory, so yes it is real time, as real time can get I suppose. In between transmissions of data the aircraft continue to proceed onsceen. PlanePlotter predicts their course based on the last information supplied. So for example if say QF12 was traveling 360 at FL200 at 444 kts the program will continue plotting the aircraft on that track at that speed at that altitiude until the next transmission comes in 60 seconds.

Dont forget, only ADS-B enabled aircraft appear on PlanePlotter, aircraft who don't have this you will obviously still hear on your scanner but not see on screen. In your settings make sure you check all the boxes so that PP displays all aircraft at ALL altitudes and increase the time the trails stay on screen. When I get home I'll do a screen dump of my settings screen and post it for you so you can make sure yours are the same.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:00 PM

Here is what my settings are hope it helps......

Old 5th January 2009, 10:27 PM

I can confirm PlanePlotter is real time. Just saw QF21 SYD-NRT VH-QPF flying over my house near Bankstown Airport and looking up on PlanePlotter, it shows the exact same thing.
Old 6th January 2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mak View Post
I can confirm PlanePlotter is real time. Just saw QF21 SYD-NRT VH-QPF flying over my house near Bankstown Airport and looking up on PlanePlotter, it shows the exact same thing.
I *really* have to get a copy, especially since we are going to Europe in June - could be interesting if i can set it up properly and some people have some decoders in the area.
Old 6th January 2009, 05:45 AM

Andrew, welcome to the PlanePlotter world. As Nick and Michael posted, the information PP receives from the COAA server is in real time (plus 60 secs as the server updates).

You will only see those a/c fully ADS-B equipped transmitting lat & lon data and whether a sharer is uploading data from their SBS-1 or RadarBox at the time you are viewing.

Cheers,

Noel
(PP sharer code oW)

Noel White
Old 6th January 2009, 06:51 AM

thanks for the help.
Its money well spent now. I live in Katoomba and have been busy watching it and then looking up!!
Old 6th January 2009, 08:23 AM

Glad to see you got it up and running mate. I am glued to it some days awesome fun.
Old 6th January 2009, 08:50 AM

After a while of using PP I'm still having trouble setting up a decent map - all I have is the awful default thing. Could anyone please give me some step-by-step instructions for setting this up?
Old 6th January 2009, 09:01 AM

From the PP site you can download a fully calibrated map for SE Oz and Australia too which shows jet airways, vectors the whole lot.