Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th April 2017, 02:06 PM

Default Spotting in Sydney on Apr 19

Hi all,

For my birthday, my partner & I are flying to Sydney on 19 April on TT636 arriving between 1-2pm, depending on whether the flight is on time or not. We depart on VA444 at 8.15pm.

We were planning on going to the Rydges Hotel for about 4 hours if that is the best place to spot international movements from. We will not have a vehicle.

I am not familiar with the Sydney Airport terminals and have never been to the International terminal before, so I'm seeking some guidance as to what would be the quickest way of getting from Domestic to International and where this means of transport would depart from.

We don't want to be wasting our time trying to find where we have to go when we could be spotting!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Werner
Old 4th April 2017, 02:11 PM

There's a bus that links domestic and international terminals that leaves from te median strip outside the domestic terminals. Once you arrive at the international terminal the Rydges is a short walk from there.
Old 4th April 2017, 03:58 PM
Prolific Member

I'm not sure on cost, but there's also the train that goes between the two terminals.
Old 4th April 2017, 05:13 PM

The T-Bus is $6, each, one way(which is a joke, right?). Don't bother with the train I reckon, its fast but expensive too especially for 2.

The most cost effective way would be via public bus. From memory, its around $2 each, each way and runs reasonably frequently for the busses. It departs from Qantas T3 to T1 Int'l.

Bus number '400' to Bondi Junction will take you from T1 to T3.
Bus 400 to Burwood will take you in the opposite direction from T3 to T1.

From a local's point of view, that's probably the cheapest way to do it, I hope it helps.
Old 4th April 2017, 05:15 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
I'm not sure on cost, but there's also the train that goes between the two terminals.
Opal
Adult Child/Youth/Senior/Pensioner*/Concession*
Single (peak) $5.28 $3.59
Single (off-peak) $4.26 $3.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
The T-Bus is $6, each, one way(which is a joke, right?). Don't bother with the train I reckon, its fast but expensive too especially for 2.

The most cost effective way would be via public bus. From memory, its around $2 each, each way and runs reasonably frequently for the busses. It departs from Qantas T3 to T1 Int'l..
Given the limited time, I am not sure the 2.26 saving is worth it, especially as the 400 is every 20 mins.

http://www.sydneybuses.info/routes/400_20130429_tt.pdf
Old 6th April 2017, 04:59 AM

Remember to check in advance that the Rydges facility is available, and not being used for a conference /wedding reception etc. They show up to about a week in advance on their website.
Old 6th April 2017, 09:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I wasn't aware about the Rydges facility availability, so I'll have to check that out.

Should the facility be booked, is there anywhere else where you could get a reasonable view of international movements bearing in mind that we don't have a vehicle?
Old 6th April 2017, 10:18 AM

Not an overview, since they closed the observation deck. I've always found the view back from various gates at T2 and T3 OK for general watching - but not photography.

If the weather is fine, Airport Drive is short walk from T1 (connects domestic and international along the northern perimeter). No shade, but a great view of arrivals if 16R is in operation. Just watch out for cyclists on this shared path.
Old 6th April 2017, 04:49 PM

If you're arriving at domestic then there's a good place at the end of one of the piers in T2 which gives a great view of one of the parallel runways (usually for the heavier aircraft) and you're also opposite the international terminal. You'll also see pretty much all the taxying aircraft from here. If I'm flying domestic I usually arrive a few hours early and go and sit up there to spot whilst awaiting my flights. There's also a little coffee stand there too.

If you're interested in the general aviation area then it's a walk of about fifteen to twenty minutes from T2/T3. You just walk out in the direction of the traffic leaving domestic. Be sure to be on the right hand pavement heading away from the terminals. Before the main intersection (you'll see the traffic lights as you approach) turn right into Ross Smith Avenue and walk past the Ibis Budget and McDonald's and you'll see the general aviation area on your right.

Though the train between Domestic and International is far quicker than the 400 bus the benefit of going on the bus is that the road goes around the perimeter fence so you get to see some aircraft that have been parked away from the gates and also pass by the cargo area (just past the end of the runway).
Old 18th April 2017, 10:30 AM

I've contacted the Rydges Hotel and unfortunately the viewing facility is unavailable

Is it still worth it to go to the international terminal?

We were hoping to do some photography so ideally would like to be on the western side of the airport. As far as I know, there aren't too many spots on that side of the airport apart from "the Beach". Is there any easy accessible public transport which runs past the beach or is it too difficult to get to?

If 16R is in use, then we'll probably go to Airport Drive until it gets dark. What has been the average usage these last few days as the weather seems to be the same as tomorrow?

Any other suggestions?