Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th December 2009, 07:03 PM

Actually I noticed this as well and think it's a pretty good idea. They would be laughing for parking their bus and earning money at the same time without a drop of fuel.
Old 12th December 2009, 03:06 PM

I might shoot them off an email this week wondering if its a possibility.

$10 per hour or something would be fair id think. You dont want people there ALL day so $10/hour would discourage that.
Old 12th December 2009, 06:45 PM

Let us know what response you get Mike, if any.

Back to the topic, it is a shame that situation occured to you Stefan. The state of the mound has deterioated over time - the various heavy machinery etc working around the area makes me wonder what will happen to the Mound in the long term. Machinery parked at the bottom hasn't had too much of an impact but hopefully they don't have any plans for the area.
Old 13th December 2009, 12:20 AM

Default Great for off road testing

Don't laugh but I've introduced Sydney City Toyota to Shep's Mound as a great site to demonstrate the off road capabilities of their new Prado Kakadu - the soft sand, the hump in the mound, and the slope down to the road on the northern side make for a terrific little 4wd playground, and then you can stop and do some spotting!
Old 13th December 2009, 07:06 AM

There is more and more rubbish being placed in that compound and what killed the mound was when they installed those annoying little lights.The could have easily used flood lights on 2 poles to light up that area of a night.
Old 13th December 2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Don't laugh but I've introduced Sydney City Toyota to Shep's Mound as a great site to demonstrate the off road capabilities of their new Prado Kakadu - the soft sand, .....
I like this idea, and perhaps I should have had a 'play' before getting bogged up at Myal Lakes on the beach!

But, seriously, the amount of cars that I have seen get 'stuck' in there is unbelievable! The local towie must be getting a lot of cash pulling them out!

I also think that the bunting style fencing has made it worse! People come up along the road and see it, and then retreat back and go around the block, up the hill and whilst trying to get around the smaller mound, find themselves in trouble! I know that most of 'us' park consideratly, but there are a lot of other people I have noticed that park willy nilly causing it to become conjested. I think that SACL could build some deck like structure (elevated to ensure photography vistas OVER the fenceline), with designated parking to the rear. Also, a couple of bins about the place wouldn't go astray (thanks to the recent BP and Golden Arch's) as litter is also becoming a problem. I also note that this would also be a security risk though, but I detest litter!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 13th December 2009, 04:24 PM

I have to agree that it probably won't be long before Sheps mound is developed, together with the area behind that has the dumpsters. Now that the piece further along from the bus depot has become another rental car storage/service area, Sheps mound and surrounds remains the last bit of prime real estate on Ross Smith Ave.

I will certainly proceed with more caution next time I visit, I was just caught off guard as to how the area had deteriorated since I had last been there. Also probably a timely reminder for other board readers that may be planning to visit there. Thanks all for the feedback.

Last edited by Stefan I; 13th December 2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Extra comment added.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
I don't go to that location any more - the lights are in the way, the view isn't very great.

There are now better locations for spotting out near the new boat ramp facilities near the port complex.

Those are very good for morning 34R takeoffs and landings, and possibly okay for 34L too, and certainly okay for 16L takeoffs in the morning provided you have 500mm or better lens.
I have to agree. Stopped by the other day... It will be very interesting once it's all finished and the other carparks and cycleways are open.

Cheers,
Neil.
Old 14th December 2009, 02:15 PM

It's probably deteriorated so much because someone introduced a car dealership to it to use as a 4WD testing ground!
Old 14th December 2009, 02:36 PM

Arrow No Andrew!

They have been there only once Andrew about 10 days ago, and the sand was very soft long before then, so another theory would be in order!