Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting Weekend 2014

Old 5th April 2014, 01:42 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Thumbs up

And why wouldn't you guys be happy , the SACL Rooftop Evening Event was a great opportunity to meet everyone, check out some impressive Canon gear, enjoy the nibbles, have a little fun with the Trivia, and shoot some images from the 8th Floor balcony. Let's not forget to mention the amazing prizes, including visits to the Tower today at 10:30am for 6 lucky people.

Then again this morning, the weather gods smiled down on us for the Saturday Airside Tour, we all enjoyed a couple of great shooting locations, and a visit to the AARF Station including a water cannon demonstration. The Airside Tour ended with a presentation from the AFP on the Airport Watch program.

Anne, Nigel and Kurt, you have done it again, delivering several amazing events over this weekend, both airside and at the Terminal. A personal thank you from me, but I am sure everyone attending has nothing but praise for your efforts this year.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 5th April 2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 5th April 2014, 01:51 PM

Thumbs up Awesome!

I agree with Grahame and want to add my personal thanks as well to Anne, Kurt and Nigel for the effort that has been put in to make yesterday and today so memorable. The weather yesterday was a bit of a dampener but the evening food, drink and trivia 'exam' proved a big hit. Starry skies this morning and a forecast of fog was a good omen, and so it proved to be with three hours of uninterrupted pure gold airside photo ops, not to mention the Kurt vs Nigel banter as a bonus, and the use of Morris Biondi's mini scanner plugged in to the bus' PA system to make us feel at home. The visit to AARF East was impressive. At $2m a piece and the ability to accelerate from 0 - 100 in 18 seconds, these tenders are amazing. Especially liked the massive V12 engines being kept permanently warm with electric heaters, and the fact that the power plug automatically disconnects when the tender leaves the station - no need to delay while someone climbs up to disconnect! The six-wheel drive 34 tonners are soon to be replaced with eight-wheel drive 50 tonners, and the fire station building will have to be enlarged to accommodate them!

On top of the super airside tour, eight of us won last night's lucky door prize of a Control Tower visit, and that did not disappoint either. Thanks to Air Services Australia's Phil Lee for the permission and to Margaret for looking after us during her break. Boy, that was some view! We could have spent the day on the balcony if you'd have let us ... Am I too old to become ADC East - the busiest job in the tower.

For those that missed the Control Tower trip Constable Alina Esteban of the AFP gave an informative presentation on Airport Watch. As responsible members of the aviation community all SAMB members need to take heed and contribute to this initiative as a small token of our appreciation for the indulgences we are granted on days like this. Few airports in the world are as embracing of their aviation enthusiasts as SACL showed today - we are very lucky people!

Last edited by Philip Argy; 5th April 2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 5th April 2014, 03:59 PM

I too would like to express my gratitude and appreciation on the job Anne and her "happening" team, Kurt, Nigel, and our bus driver did to make this event so memorable. I can well understand the logistics involved in formulating such an event.

Due to the twin tyrannies of distance and health, I am just a "part-time" member of the camera fraternity in Sydney. I enjoy every opportunity that presents to get down to the Mound or the Beach and catch up with the action and fellow members. So to be lucky enough to be aboard this morning's airside bus tour, was a moment I shall treasure for years to come.

I know I reflect the thoughts of many on this mornings tour, who wouldn't mind at all if it "just happened" to occur, just a little more often ;-))

Thanks again everyone
Cheers John
Old 5th April 2014, 05:08 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Saturday Airside Tour - The Orchestra.

Saturday Airside Tour - The Conductor.
Old 5th April 2014, 09:30 PM

Fantastic event, great time and thank you to all who organised, especially Kurt Ams and the beautiful Anne Walker. Thank you for the special prizes as well, and I cannot wait until the next Spotters Weekend.

Meanwhile, any of you with an interest in Reptiles come to the Australian Reptile Park near Gosford, I volunteer most Sundays. Plenty of different photo ops there too!

I really am grateful for this weekend, I am still buzzing! Really look forward to seeing everyone's photographs because the ones I have seen so far have been stunning!
Old 6th April 2014, 12:57 PM

Hi Kurt,

Many thanks to you, Anne, Nigel, Mr Bus driver and all the other behind the scenes people for putting on a wonderful 2 days for us all.

It was great to meet all the YSSY forum & Facebook friends in person, share stories and our love for aviation and photography.

This event was just what the doctor ordered and I'm still 'circling the airport' so to speak.... I particularly loved the smell of the Avgas and burning rubber

I'm so grateful and appreciative to have been given the opportunity to attend the trivia night, go on the Tarmac & Control Tower, it feels like a dream.... that came true.

Many thanks,
Cheers Nadia X

Boeing all the way.
Old 6th April 2014, 03:21 PM

Likewise, I like add my thanks to Kurt, Anne, Nigel, the bus driver and all others who have put together such an amazing tour on Saturday morning. It was great to see so many members and finally able to the name to a face of some members.

I haven't been able to go the airport and just watching planes come and go over the last few years, but yesterday was just wonderful. I agree with what Nadina said above, the smell of jet fuel and burning rubber was fantastic. Seeing different aircraft taxiiing metres in front of us, and rotating and touching down is a surreal experience. One that I'm extremely grateful for.

Thank you once again for organising this event

Michael
Old 6th April 2014, 10:02 PM

I would like to express my thanks to Kurt, Anne and Nigel for all the hard work they have put in to make this event possible. It was great to see the action from up close and smell the Avgas and burning rubber.

Granted my ears were ringing slightly after the event yesterday but it was well worth it.

Thank you once again for organising the weekend.

None
Old 9th April 2014, 07:27 PM

I would like to thank everybody involved in making the weekend sensational, starting from Kurt, Anne, Nigel, the bus driver, the Federal Police and any body else who helped organise the weekend, also the participants for making it a fun experience. Apologies if i have left anybody out.

I would like to make a special mention for Jayden Laing, for his true act of kindness in my regard, for those of you who don't know he was kind and generous enough to donate his winning ticket to visit the tower to me, only out of the goodness of his heart because i had never been and he had, so mate, a massive thank you once again, i had a wonderful time up there.

Regards,
Morris
Old 13th April 2014, 01:54 PM

Big thanks to Kurt, Anne, and to all involved in making this spotting weekend possible. This was my first spotting weekend so it was great to meet new people, hope to see some of ya's out there.

I usually goto the mound, beach, or Rydges during weekends so feel free to come and say hi