Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Services and General > Admin and Feedback

Old 25th February 2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default Google Ads

Hi All,

As you've all heard before, running the board is not a cheap affair, we have hosting costs, domain costs and the cost of maintaining the license for the vbulletin software we use.

Since Amsy isn't keen on holding a sausage sizzle at the airport every weekend, we will be trialling google ads over the next month, to see if it is capable of covering our costs. We will be playing with different placements of the ads, and they may take some time to actually become relevant to us - so I apologise in advance if you're not interested in nasal delivery technology

I can assure you that we will not resort to popup ads, or AdWords invading your posts. We will only do what is required to cover the hosting costs. If anyone has any comments or (useful) suggestions, feel free to post them in this thread.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 25th February 2009, 09:06 AM

I dunno about nasal delivery stuff (more up your ally isn't it Knudsen?), but that Fantastico thing just sounds fantastic....o

Mick
Old 25th February 2009, 12:11 PM

I kinda like the idea of Amsy doing a sausage sizzle at the airport.
Old 25th February 2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
Hi All,

As you've all heard before, running the board is not a cheap affair, we have hosting costs, domain costs and the cost of maintaining the license for the vbulletin software we use.

Since Amsy isn't keen on holding a sausage sizzle at the airport every weekend, we will be trialling google ads over the next month, to see if it is capable of covering our costs. We will be playing with different placements of the ads, and they may take some time to actually become relevant to us - so I apologise in advance if you're not interested in nasal delivery technology

I can assure you that we will not resort to popup ads, or AdWords invading your posts. We will only do what is required to cover the hosting costs. If anyone has any comments or (useful) suggestions, feel free to post them in this thread.
Hi David,

I use to have this on our blog, but it is ONLY good (generating income) IF the adds are clicked! I think it took us about 10-12 months to get the $100USD...

So, if we were all to click an add every now and then (and they do have the technology to see if the are any sudden 'spikes') it should generate an income for the board!

Cheers

Bernie

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 25th February 2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Hi Bernie, its actually against google policy to ask people to click on it, but to be honest we'd rather see what sort of revenue it generates on its on. I don't really expect many of our users to click on it, but we do get thousands of visitors a day who aren't members, who come here via search engines...I think they'll be the people who click on the ads.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 25th February 2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P View Post
Hi David,

So, if we were all to click an add every now and then (and they do have the technology to see if the are any sudden 'spikes') it should generate an income for the board!

Cheers

Bernie
I clicked it. only cos i saw it and didn't know what the hell fantastico was doing there, then i realised it was an Ad!!
Theres my contribution Of course i'll also by a sausage sandwich at the next sausage sizzle!

Gerard
Old 25th February 2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
Hi Bernie, its actually against google policy to ask people to click on it, but to be honest we'd rather see what sort of revenue it generates on its on. I don't really expect many of our users to click on it, but we do get thousands of visitors a day who aren't members, who come here via search engines...I think they'll be the people who click on the ads.
David, how much does the board get per click?
Old 25th February 2009, 07:06 PM

I'm in the UK at the moment and the site is showing ads aimed at the UK audience, so it seems to be working.

Anthony T
Old 25th February 2009, 09:52 PM

I just clicked on a pic of an aircraft cockpit not thinking that it was an ad and got linked to natgeo TV advertising Air Crash Investigations. So certainly relevant to the board and some what ironic considering the Turkish incident in Amsterdam that I just heard about.

Also this is the third or fourth time I have looked on the board today but the first time I have noticed the ad so not invasive at all.

Hope it brings in the revenue that is needed.

Cheers

M
Old 25th February 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mak View Post
David, how much does the board get per click?
It depends on the ad. Every ad campaign will pay a different amount, but probably averages 30-50c per click.... but some can be more than $1!