Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 13th February 2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the TR, looked amazing.
Old 13th February 2009, 04:40 PM

G'day Sam

Great trip report. Emirates always put on a good show.

What type of lens do you use to fit the whole cabin in the shot?

Regards

Luke/PER
Survived 1562 flights / 5407:43hrs / 2,431,608 miles
Now SQ, EK, QF, AF, EK, KE and CZ A380 compliant - MH next!
Old 14th February 2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Chittock View Post
G'day Sam

Regards

Luke/PER
Hi Luke et al,

I believe that lens to be a fisheye.

Cheers
Old 16th February 2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Chittock View Post
G'day Sam

Regards

Luke/PER
Hi Luke

I use a Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 Fisheye lens for cockpit/cabin photos.

Cheers
Sam
Old 16th February 2009, 11:21 PM

Question

Hi Sam

Your trip reports capture all the juicy detail in words and pictures - really excellent - thank you for all the effort you put into them.

Two questions:

1) on the ICE displays when the a/c is on the ground, the 'True Air Speed' shows 71mph on both 1 and 2 February. Is 71 mph always the displayed air speed when the a/c is on the ground, or is it just a co-incidence that it showed that speed on both days?

2) on your cruise flight phase photo mid-Tasman the distance to Auckland is shown as 594 miles, the ground speed as 594 mph, yet the time to go 1:09. Is the time to go measured on air speed of 555 mph rather than ground speed? That doesn't seem logical to me. Or is the system adding in 9 minutes of taxi-in time?

The ICE used by Emirates seems like a great system - I wish QF would use that system!
Old 17th February 2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Hi Sam

Your trip reports capture all the juicy detail in words and pictures - really excellent - thank you for all the effort you put into them.

Two questions:

1) on the ICE displays when the a/c is on the ground, the 'True Air Speed' shows 71mph on both 1 and 2 February. Is 71 mph always the displayed air speed when the a/c is on the ground, or is it just a co-incidence that it showed that speed on both days?

2) on your cruise flight phase photo mid-Tasman the distance to Auckland is shown as 594 miles, the ground speed as 594 mph, yet the time to go 1:09. Is the time to go measured on air speed of 555 mph rather than ground speed? That doesn't seem logical to me. Or is the system adding in 9 minutes of taxi-in time?

The ICE used by Emirates seems like a great system - I wish QF would use that system!
Hi Philip,
I noticed the same thing on my flight departing SYD for DOHA via Dubai on A6-EDD. The speed and distance to destination were the same, yet the time to destination was out, but it was more 20 mins!!!
I am about to leave Doha in about 6.5 hrs (through Dubai and Bangkok though...) and the ICE was great as well. The wife got and replied to SMS I was sending!!!
Cheers
Bernie

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images

Last edited by Bernie P; 17th February 2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: typo... AND detail!
Old 17th February 2009, 01:13 PM

Regarding the distance/time to destination issue, I would hazard a guess that if distance to destination and air speed are the same but the time to destination is off the 1 hour mark that would be because the final 20 minutes (approx) of the flight is the descent phase where you're obviously no longer travelling at 594 mph or whatever the cruise speed is. The ETA takes in to account slower speeds during descent and approach.

By the way, great trip report Sam and beautiful photos!

From a cabin crew perspective, I love the change they've made to the male uniform. I thought the previous navy blue-coloured jacket with 80's-style gold buttons, blue shirt and fuddy-duddy-pattern tie was a bit outdated-looking. But the new black jacket, white shirt and more contemporary/modern tie looks great and a bit more corporate. Looks like the serving jacket/uniform has been changed from that weird non-matching light blue colour to a matching beige which is a good change also.