Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 24th August 2012, 03:57 PM

Default 07 takeoffs

Has there been any lately? Do they still happen? I used to see them quite a bit as a kid when they only had the two runways, but I cannot recall when I have seen the them take off from 07 last. If they did there would be some great photographic opportunities.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:58 PM

I don't get out to YSSY as much as some of you,or as much as I'd like,but I can't remember the last time I seen 07 used for anything

Cheers
Jim
Old 24th August 2012, 07:39 PM

Hi Tony,

I live right under the approach path for RWY25 and I can only recall RWY07 for arr & dep 3 times. Late last year there were very strong easterly winds and very low cloud with heavy rain and 07 was used. The only heavy to depart at the time though was the Hi-Fly A340 unfortunately which was the last time that I can think of.

Jim, RWY07 is common for arrivals during offpeak periods of the day (Very early morning, around lunchtime and at night) but I have not seen it used for a couple of months at least.

Cheers.

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 24th August 2012, 08:40 PM

Thanks Andrew,now that you mention it,I do recall 07 being used a lot at night when I have seen it,but like you said it has not been for quite a while.

Cheers
Jim
Old 25th August 2012, 03:21 PM

Lightbulb

When do the easterly winds usually happen? When there's a strong sea breeze more apparent during the summer months. In winter the opposite happens hence 25 especially with August being the windy month. Just wait till summer.
Old 25th August 2012, 08:59 PM
Prolific Member

Utilising Rwy 07 for departures is not a mode that's particularly efficient. It can have pretty dramatic effects on the operation of the airport so it's generally only used as a last resort when wind conditions or other weather necessitates it.

As Chris said, during summer when the big nor-easters blow they'll go to it if they absolutely have to, but with a nor-easter blowing it essentially rules out Rwy 34R being used for either arrivals or departures, and it creates havoc on the international and domestic side for moving aircraft around.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:25 AM

Andrew,
I remember that day your talking about as I was at work & saw EK412 depart for AKL off 07 (Yes it was an amazing sight to see the A380 thundering away!!) and a SQ 744F, also going to AKL too!
Old 26th August 2012, 09:48 AM

Over the last 15 years I've been in the tower I've only worked 07 only about 6 or 8 times. It's very rare as Nigel said and only used if we really need to. Fortunately the strong easterlies needed to put us on this mode happen rarely.

Regards.
Old 26th August 2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback all, just thought Id ask since it has been a while since I have seen one.
Old 26th August 2012, 05:13 PM

Question Curious track

DJ647 (an ATR72-500) took a curious approach path into YSSY this afternoon (check on Webtrak from about 1.36 pm). At first I thought we were on approach to 07 but then we turned north and then east and tracked along Parramatta Road and Pyrmont Bridge straight across the City and then tracked north over Garden Island the Harbour and Mosman before tracking up Middle Harbour followed by a 260 degree left turn to land on 16L.

I don't think I've ever been on an aircraft that took that route in 50 years of flying, so I'm assuming it's raher unusual. Was there a last minute runway change, a go around or is it really a standard approach that I've just managed to avoid? We seemed to stay above 6000 feet so I doubt it was a go around but I'd be interested to see if those in the know on this Board think it was unusual.