Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 7th March 2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara S View Post
What do you do in the industry Nigel C?
Nigel has the best job.........ever.......ever.....

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 7th March 2016, 08:06 PM

Have a look at QGS (Qantas Ground Services). They are a subsidiary of Qantas and is now where they recruit for Ramp, Baggage and Fleet Presentation (cabin cleaning) staff. They are not always the greatest to work for but pay ok and you will have access to staff travel and is a good way to get your foot in the door if you want go places in aviation. I know of many people who started out as cabin cleaners and have now got positions in customer service or even as flight attendants.
Old 7th March 2016, 09:06 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
Nigel has the best job.........ever.......ever.....
Thanks Stephen.

I work in airfield operations Tara. I drive the cars and see the views as per this post http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost....6&postcount=12

It's a good job

There are jobs available on the airfield as works safety officers (WSO's) at the moment. It is shift work, and there is a lot of night works happening right now, but it might be an avenue for you to get a foot in the door. It's not the type of work that suits everyone, but like everything it is what you make of it.
http://www.seek.com.au/job/30466547?..._source=joraau
Old 7th March 2016, 10:26 PM

Another way of getting a foot in the door is to join a local/near by NSW RFS Aviation Support as a volunteer. You'll get to work up and close with aircraft when in operation. Training is provided (though you'll need to set aside a weekend but transport, food and accommodation is provided) during Winter/Spring at different locations.

I joined in March last year, undertook training in Nowra and only did two operations during the season (so far). Some volunteers have been lucky enough to get paid roles in aviation outside of the NSW RFS, while others have gotten a paid role in the NSW RFS.

Flightradar24 feeder (F-YSWG1 & T-YSWG2)
FlightAware feeder (YSWG/6482)
Old 9th March 2016, 05:56 PM

I'll 2nd that the handling companies are a good way to getting your foot int he door and getting some one the job experience.

One suggestion though... If you are going for a ground based customer service job it is much more important to highlight your customer service skills/teamwork skills than being just an aviation enthusiast.
Old 10th March 2016, 08:41 AM

Thank you so much to everyone who's been commenting on my thread. I'm truly grateful!

Just from posting this thread i'v learnt about so many things I didn't know before. Like the ground operation companies such as Aerocare.

Since starting the thread i'v applied for a role at Aerocare to which I got through to the pre-recorded interview part. This happened on Monday and I'm just waiting to hear back from them about that. I made sure I mentioned all my previous customer service experience and how I thrive from working in a 'team' environment so I hope i'v done enough to gain acceptance.

Tonight I'll be applying for the role as 'worksite safety officer' on seek. This is certainly something I can see myself doing.

If anyone's interested I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Again thank you so much to all who've helped me in my quest to find my dream job.

Tara
Old 27th March 2016, 03:13 PM

So just an update here on the outcome of my post..

I got through to the 'final interview' with Aero-care and they were quick to offer me the job! I start Monday April 4 and cannot wait.

I'll be starting from the bottom and working my way up.

First I'll be in baggage, then driving on the Tarmac and finally operating various cargo doors. This kind of heavy/hands on work I really love.

Eventually I would like to become a part of the Pitt crew, pushing aircraft back from the gate and marshelling them in too. I discussed this during my interview and they are very keen for me to go as far as I would like to go within the company which is fantastic as I have a lot of enthusiasm and drive in the industry.

Thank you again to all that helped me. I honestly wouldn't be in this position now if it wasn't for you!

Onwards and upwards! Finally my aviation career is about to take off!

Best wishes to everyone.

Tara ❤️✈️
Old 27th March 2016, 06:55 PM
Prolific Member

Congrats! Enjoy the experience!
Old 27th March 2016, 07:16 PM
Prolific Member

Best of Luck

Hope your dreams come true
Old 28th March 2016, 09:03 PM

Yay. Good on you.