Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 21st March 2017, 04:04 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Mark, This was the actual Flight Path based on our ADS-B tracking data, the Prop Separation call by Rex 768 was at the Padstow position, so allowing a small amount of time for the crew to react to what had just happened before making the radio call, and you have the midpoint of my original prediction of between Picnic Point and Padstow Heights. By my calculations the prop was 800m left of this track.

Note: Camden is 31km further to the southwest of this location - not sure how the authorities (or Media) came up with this.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 21st March 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:06 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
...as I don't think there would have been too much lateral travel on the props flight path.
I presume you've made a paper helicopter before? They never fall straight to the ground.

Even though the prop was feathered (and the pictures from it laying in the bush would suggest that it hit the ground that way), I suspect that it would have developed quite some rotation on the way down from 8000', leading to a good amount of lateral travel. Also the wind on the ground at YSSY was southerly up to 35kt, so I imagine it was even stronger at altitude also helping to push it off course.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:23 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
Give him a little slack Mark! Pretty darn close.
Absolutely, very close indeed and good work, should have said so in my post , and knowing the press the actual area might be a lot closer than I estimate. Being a former Picnic Point resident I am reasonably familiar with that part of town.
Still amazed it happened the way it did, plenty of schools, roads and houses could easily have been the unintended target.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:29 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
I presume you've made a paper helicopter before? They never fall straight to the ground.

Even though the prop was feathered (and the pictures from it laying in the bush would suggest that it hit the ground that way), I suspect that it would have developed quite some rotation on the way down from 8000', leading to a good amount of lateral travel. Also the wind on the ground at YSSY was southerly up to 35kt, so I imagine it was even stronger at altitude also helping to push it off course.
I will be interested to read the report in due course, the southerly would have been a factor which might well explain how it travelled laterally 1/3 of the distance it fell from. I am surprised at the condition it's in going by the initial pictures.

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/...0still_001.JPG

Last edited by MarkR; 21st March 2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:58 PM
Prolific Member

I wonder how long the search took based on the size of the target.

When you look at the pictures it was had to see it within the trees.

Someone missed out on a nice lawn ornament in Southern Sydney.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:59 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
Hi Stephen

Well if FR24 is correct then REX768 reached FL17 just before Tumut and started descent from this altitude west of RIVET, so well past Canberra. I would have to say Crikey has got it wrong at least re the altitude, or have different source.

Cheer
Mark
Crikey have got it wrong and redacted a lot of the story. From what I can tell a vibration was felt circa Camden, engine shutdown and prop feathered with departure of the prop over Revesby Heights.
Old 21st March 2017, 07:31 PM

Despite the redactions, all of which are more than justified, the Crikey post is STILL incorrect. The propeller had been found and the press release issued HOURS before the redaction's... such irresponsible reporting and potentially very damaging to Rex.

Old 21st March 2017, 07:42 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I will be interested to read the report in due course, the southerly would have been a factor which might well explain how it travelled laterally 1/3 of the distance it fell from. I am surprised at the condition it's in going by the initial pictures.
I was surprised too, but to me that suggests that it hit the ground in a reasonably flat position.

One thing's for sure, it must have made one helluva thump when it hit!
Old 21st March 2017, 07:52 PM

I was also surprised by the condition of the propeller. I would be curious to know whether the shaft was attached still.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:35 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Flight ZL768 Propeller Found

Quote:
Regional Express (Rex) has been advised today by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) that that the propeller assembly that separated from an aircraft operating flight ZL768 on Friday 17 March 2017 has been found in the Georges River National Park about 18 km from Sydney Airport by the NSW Police Force Airwing (Polair).

Rex’s chief operating officer Neville Howell said, “the propeller will be vital in assisting the ATSB with their investigations. Further technical updates will be provided as appropriate by the ATSB. On behalf of the Board, I wish to place on record our immense gratitude to Polair for its utmost dedication, perseverance and professionalism in the search for the missing propeller without which the full ATSB investigations may be delayed by many days if not weeks.”

Rex also takes this opportunity to correct certain gross inaccuracies in recent Seven News reports and other media:

- that the aircraft should be diverted to Canberra in accordance with regulations.

As stated in our previous media release and as confirmed by the location of the propeller, the aircraft was some 20 km away from Sydney Airport when the engine was shut down and the propeller separated from the aircraft. It would be ludicrous for the pilot to divert the aircraft 250 km to Canberra Airport when Sydney Airport was just 20 km away. The company stands behind the decision made by the crew to continue to Sydney Airport. This was the correct and safest decision and in full compliance with both regulatory and company requirements. Further, Sydney Airport has a precision landing system, longer runway and more suitable runway orientation to cope with the prevailing strong winds.

- that maintenance checks would have been able to detect the fault in the vulnerable propeller shaft.

It is premature to second guess the outcome of the ATSB investigations but on Rex’s part, it has been fully compliant with the engineering inspections prescribed by General Electric (GE), the manufacturer of the engine assembly.

Finally, Rex wishes to clarify that it did not ground any of its aircraft. Rex has simply taken the precautionary measure to replace the gear boxes and shafts (of the same series as the separated propeller) of 5 aircraft, and this will be carried out over the next 2-3 days. Only minor disruptions are expected and affected passengers will be notified in advance.

Regional Express (Rex) is Australia’s largest independent regional airline operating a fleet of more than 50 Saab 340 aircraft on some 1,500 weekly flights to 58 destinations throughout all states in Australia. In addition to the regional airline Regional Express, the Rex Group comprises wholly owned subsidiaries Pel-Air Aviation (air freight and charter operator), Air Link (Dubbo-based regional airline) and the Australian Airline Pilot Academy.

Rex Media Contact: Corporate Communications: +61 402 438 361 media@rex.com.au