Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2011, 06:41 PM

I hope the Discovery Channel (or National Geographc) films the repair.
Old 15th October 2011, 07:45 PM

Question QF32 delayed departure from LHR 15/10/11

QF32 departure from LHR has been delayed an hour at this stage according to the flight info display - no announcement (or SMS!) as yet. Hopefully we'll make up time between LHR and SIN so as not to be too late into SYD tomorrow night.

By the way, I noticed on the way over that the triple-segment outer ailerons on the A380 don't move in unison but in a Mexican wave pattern - does anyone know if there's a design reason for that? I've never noticed it on any other a/c. I'll upload some video of the action when I get home.
Old 15th October 2011, 08:03 PM

Philip,

I could be wrong (happy to be corrected) but QF31 was delayed out of Sydney yesterday hence late arrival today in Lhr affecting your flight.

Reason- unsure, could be the striking ? Was a hefty delay though - didn't depart till 10pm!
Old 15th October 2011, 08:10 PM

Thumbs up Late inbound

Thanks, Matt - if it's simply turnaround delay caused by the late inbound then hopefully the delay won't extend.
Old 15th October 2011, 10:45 PM

VH-OQF has been out of action the last few days, so that has led to QF31 being delayed on Thurs and Fri. Also, VH-OJL operated QF11 today.

I noticed this too when I flew on the A380. It looks like the ailerons are flapping which is quite an interesting sight on takeoff. As far as i know, it is part of the design to disperse the force created from its deflection; to make it more comfortable and a more gentle and stabilised roll.
Old 17th October 2011, 05:41 AM

Smile Fergus is home!

34 hours of travelling from leaving my hotel in Geneva to walking in the door at home in Sydney. But actually, considering OQD left Sydney 5 hours late on Friday we did quite well to be only 90 minutes late back into SYD last night. Thank you Fergus!

I'll upload some video (or perhaps just a link to it) of the unusual aileron movement when I get a chance during the week. What I didn't get a photo of was the surprising amount of ice build up when speed brakes have been deployed. Even after landing in Singapore where it was 30 degrees it took more than 5 minutes for the ice to clear from the centre top of the wing, and in Sydney tonight there was still a lot of ice on top of the wings after we'd parked and deplaned. I hadn't noticed it travelling west but perhaps I was on the lookout for it having seen it in Singapore. Has anyone else noticed the phenomenon?
Old 17th October 2011, 06:28 AM

The ice forms when descending from cold altitudes into warm and moist air. The wing remains quite cold and condensation forms over the fuel tanks. I too
Noticed this after landing in a quite warm LA.
Old 17th October 2011, 06:47 AM

Question Icing up on landing

Is it the large surface area of the wing that makes this phenomenon most noticeable on the A380? I can't say I've noticed more than a glisten on other aircraft.