Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2011, 12:46 PM

Just going on what Alan Joyce told me on Wednesday.
Old 8th October 2011, 04:16 PM

Andrew J,

No - one can hold you captive - except airport officials...

If you think its as simple as saying "Excuse me, I'm getting off, see ya", then you're very, very wrong. Give it a go in a diversion airport sometime and see what sort of response you get.

Don't be surprised if weapons are involved in some parts of the world.

Usually the crew would be more than happy for you to get off. The local officials less so.
Old 8th October 2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I don't know. If I was a business passenger or had a meeting in Brisbane or Sydney, I would 1) insist QF put me on 1st available flight to BNE or SYD or 2) get my own ticket & not care about my luggage, it always turn up sometimes.
Dave Hughes & John Hewson tried it when they diverted to AVV instead of MEL. They were not allowed off and ended up missing the show they were flying in for.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

How silly.

If I was bound for BNE via SYD, I wouldn't fly BNE/SYD to then turn around & fly SYD/BNE.

I would have got suddenly really sick & demanded a Dr/paramedic & got off the aircraft in BNE.

All you have to say in heart pains !!!
Old 10th October 2011, 09:39 AM

And waste the time of the doctor and paramedic when they could attend to a real emergency? How selfish of you.
Old 10th October 2011, 03:57 PM

Agreed, the turn around was 55 min which I thought was pretty good considering there were at least 4 other SYD-bound flights waiting to go.

So sad to see some just look out for themselves...
Old 16th October 2011, 11:48 AM

I was on a LAX-SYD flight that got diverted to HNL because of patient who had chest pain, due to a late departure from LAX we ended up being diverted to BNE as crew were out of hours before flying onto SYD, the BNE bound folk were not too pleased, I had to connect to MEL so it ended it being an interesting flight home that day as i missed by MCO-LAX direct flight and ended up flying MCO-MEM-LAX-HNL-BNE-SYD-MEL ... needless to say i think i slept for 24hours straight by the time i got home!

As for faking chest pain, working for the Ambulance Service in Melbourne this is not a shocking story, people pay an ambulance membership and automatically assume they are entitled to use it as taxi, it's amazing the number of times crews are dealing with a paper cut when they could be responding to someone who will actually die without urgent medical intervention.

Oh well, thats life i guess.
Old 17th October 2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
Andrew J,

No - one can hold you captive - except airport officials...

If you think its as simple as saying "Excuse me, I'm getting off, see ya", then you're very, very wrong. Give it a go in a diversion airport sometime and see what sort of response you get.

Don't be surprised if weapons are involved in some parts of the world.

Usually the crew would be more than happy for you to get off. The local officials less so.
Something similar happened in Gatwick.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/a...-1226168460719