Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 22nd December 2008, 01:18 PM

Default Qantas luggage lost: passengers in limbo

http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/qa...794296474.html

Qantas luggage lost: passengers in limbo
Georgina Robinson
December 22, 2008 - 1:12PM

Quote:
Countless Qantas passengers have been plunged into pre-Christmas limbo after 750 pieces of luggage were reportedly lost between Los Angeles, London, Sydney and Melbourne over the weekend.

Airline staff are working around the clock to reunite travellers with about 750 suitcases, bags and backpacks that have piled up at international terminals in Sydney and Melbourne, one affected family said.

The airline did not confirm the number of lost bags.

However, a spokeswoman said a technical issue in the cargo hold of a Boeing 747-400 flying from Los Angeles to Melbourne led to all baggage being loaded on to the next available flights.

But other passengers flying with Qantas from London also arrived in Sydney to find crucial bags missing.

The Quinns were told a suitcase full of Christmas gifts for their two young children had gone missing between London and Sydney when they arrived on Saturday night.

Sue Quinn said airline staff told her on Sunday that theirs was one of about 250 items without owners.

And when she called again this morning the tally had risen to 750. A fault with the baggage handling system in Los Angeles was partly to blame, Mrs Quinn was told.

"Santa had hid his pressies in my bag and I don't know whether to go shopping and start again or wait for them to tell us if we'll get our bags back this side of Christmas," she said.

Luckily, the missing suitcase turned up this morning, just as she was heading in to town.

But it took 36 hours of nervous waiting to find out whether she needed to start from scratch on Santa sacks for Ruby, 7, and Ben, 4.

"There are about a dozen presents, a couple of MP3 players and CDs plus stuff that can't be replaced because the kids have made things for their grandparents," she said.

"Half the luggage on a number of flights out of LA to Sydney has been left behind," Mrs Quinn said.
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:55 PM

"Half the luggage on a number of flights out of LA to Sydney has been left behind," Mrs Quinn said

If Qantas can't even manage their passengers luggage on the SYD-LA route then how are they going to manage the competition that VA and Delta Airlines will bring?
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
"Half the luggage on a number of flights out of LA to Sydney has been left behind," Mrs Quinn said

If Qantas can't even manage their passengers luggage on the SYD-LA route then how are they going to manage the competition that VA and Delta Airlines will bring?
Oh please. Like Virgin and Delta have never lost a bag. I think a little perspective is required
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:31 PM

It's obviously reported because it's Qantas. Other than it being Qantas I'm really not sure why this has even been reported on. Airlines lose bags everyday, and airlines have baggage system mistakes all the time, why isn't every incident with every airline reported, who cares, what a waste of time smh.
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Southwell View Post
, who cares, .

Guess I'd care if it was my bags

but point taken Matt - IMHO the obsession in some quarters with highlighting the smallest glitch at QF at the moment is all getting a bit silly . As has been previously pointed out in this and other threads most of the occurrences are common events in the day to day running of a large airline

cheers

Dave
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

Thats going to be one hell of a courier bill
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:31 PM

Well I suppose with all the intense screening of bags Post 9/11 and stuff it wouldnt be hard for a few bags to be left behind, but half is a lot!!

But these things happen, There are far worse things happening in the world other than passengers bags being left behind... boo hoo
Ive had bags left behind several times, they just deliver to u when its arrived, pain in the but i know... but really life goes on......
Old 22nd December 2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Southwell View Post
It's obviously reported because it's Qantas. Other than it being Qantas I'm really not sure why this has even been reported on. Airlines lose bags everyday, and airlines have baggage system mistakes all the time, why isn't every incident with every airline reported, who cares, what a waste of time smh.
nonsense, its reported because its Christmas and its a lot of bags, the carrier counts for squat in this case.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX

Last edited by Montague S; 22nd December 2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:48 PM

With regards to the 744 that had baggage issues over the weekend, i have a feeling it may have been wunala as it was ops the 93 yesterday and was 4 hours late as engineers had to fly in a part from sydney to fix something in the cargo hold my brother told me as he was working yesterday
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:37 PM

........and the aircraft to replace Wunala was delayed getting to the gate due to the tug catching fire whilst towing the aircraft from the Golf standoff bays to the intl terminal ,requiring the attendence of the smokie's, who at the time were busy playing with the remains of the F28 near the Sunbury road.

Just don't tell the media
Closed Thread