Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th December 2008, 08:55 AM
Prolific Member

Default Light aircraft down NSW

From www.news.com.au and more specifically for those who just need to know http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...02-421,00.html

Quote:
Two missing after plane crash in Coolah Tops National Park

AAP
December 25, 2008 08:15am

Truck driver heard distress call

Search now on for two missing men

A POLICE rescue team is searching for two missing men believed injured in a light plane crash in northwest New South Wales.

Police say about 4.30pm (AEDT) yesterday, a truck driver received a distress call from the pilot of a light plane on his UHF radio.

They believe the two-seater Cessna, due to arrive at Glen Innes on Christmas Eve, has crashed in the vicinity of the Coolah Tops National Park in the Hunter Valley.

There were two people on board - a 38-year-old pilot and his 32-year-old passenger.

The pilot provided co-ordinates in the Glenn Innes area for the crash site, but a search involving local police, ambulance paramedics, the Volunteer Rescue Association and a number of helicopters failed to locate any wreckage.

A search was called off late last night because of poor light and dangerous conditions, but was resumed at first light on this morning.

Anyone with information about the location of the missing aircraft is urged to contact Muswellbrook Police on (02) 6542 6999 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Now I don't know about you lot, but rightly or wrongly I'm a little bit sus on this one. Since when does a light aircraft like a C150/152 carry citizens band UHF to be able to call truckies in times of need?
I hope this is a poor hoax.
Old 25th December 2008, 09:12 AM

In some respects I agree, however thinking about the guys and girls out there looking for them on Christmas day, some of whom are volunteers, I hope it is legit. Of course with those on board the aircraft surviving.

On the point of form of communication, would it be unheard of for a light aircraft the flew a high percentage of its hours in a rural area to not have a radio that truckies could pick up? To me it does not seem totally unfeasible.

I have no evidence to say that this aircraft is based in rural area and rarely fly to an urban environment, just posing the question. My experience with rural aviation is very little.

Cheers

M
Old 25th December 2008, 09:41 AM

It wouldn't be unheard of for an aircraft to carry a UHF. I have flown several that have, and all the aircraft I fly now are equipped with it.

However, this sounds suss. If it's a hoax, then it's quite sad that someone could be so low as to do this.

Merry Christmas All

Mick
Old 25th December 2008, 10:57 AM

From the SMH. Good news ending on Christmas Day.

Plane crash rescue

Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font Peter Hawkins
December 25, 2008 - 9:17AM

Advertisement
Two men have been found alive after their plane crashed in rugged bushland in the Upper Hunter area of NSW yesterday afternoon.

An NRMA Careflight crew spotted the survivors, aged 38 and 32 about 10am this morning, standing next to the plane waving to the helicopter crew.

Their single engine Cessna 172 was found north-west of Merriwa, in the Great Dividing Range, upside down in trees, said a Careflight spokesman.

The two men were winched out of the ravine by the Careflight helicopter and taken to hospital.

It is not known if the two men are injured at this stage.

The CareFlight spokesman said they were alerted to the wreckage on the side of a steep ravine by a property owner and were able to search the area when cloud lifted shortly before 10am.

Police said the two-seater Cessna crashed while flying 380km from Mudgee to Glenn Innes in the state's north.

About 4.30pm on Wednesday a truck driver received a distress call on his UHF radio from the pilot of a light plane.

During the call the pilot provided co-ordinates in the Glenn Innes area, but a search by local police, ambulance paramedics, the Volunteer Rescue Association and helicopters failed to find the crashed plane.

The search on last night was called off due to poor light and dangerous conditions, police and Careflight said.

The bad weather, including low cloud and rain, may have caused the crash.

Police and rescue crews resumed the search at first light this morning and at the request of AusSAR, the search area was focused on the ranges which initially were covered in cloud.
Old 25th December 2008, 12:12 PM

SMH have revised their article. It is not so good news.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...998635591.html

Quote:
One dead in plane crash

Peter Hawkins
December 25, 2008 - 9:17AM
Advertisement

A man has died and another is injured after their plane crashed in rugged bushland in the Upper Hunter area of NSW yesterday afternoon.

Earlier reports said both men had been winched to safety. However, police have now confirmed that a 32-year-old man, who was the passenger, died at the scene.

The single engine Cessna 172 was found north-west of Merriwa, in the Great Dividing Range, upside down in trees, a Careflight spokesman said.

He said they were alerted to the wreckage on the side of a steep ravine by a property owner and were able to search the area when cloud lifted shortly before 10am.

Police said the two-seater Cessna crashed while flying 380km from Mudgee to Glenn Innes in the state's north.

About 4.30pm on Wednesday a truck driver received a distress call on his UHF radio from the pilot of a light plane.

During the call the pilot provided co-ordinates in the Glenn Innes area, but a search by local police, ambulance paramedics, the Volunteer Rescue Association and helicopters failed to find the crashed plane.

The search on last night was called off due to poor light and dangerous conditions, police and Careflight said.

The bad weather, including low cloud and rain, may have caused the crash.

Police and rescue crews resumed the search at first light this morning and at the request of AusSAR, the search area was focused on the ranges which initially were covered in cloud.

Last edited by Joseph D; 25th December 2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: It's actually bad news
Old 25th December 2008, 07:22 PM

VH-EKS Cessna 172