Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th January 2009, 10:33 AM

Default Skywest in Trouble

For those who don't know Skywest has been hit rather hard over here in the West with the global downturn and some interesting decisions. There will be 2 F100's leaving soon, I am not sure of which ones, but one of the Singapore backers is pulling out and he also has 2 of the aircraft. So anyone who wants some pics of the F100's better come west.
Old 4th January 2009, 10:47 AM

If Skywest is in trouble, I wonder how NJS, Skippers, Network and Maroomba are travelling as they all seem much more exposed to the mining industry than Skywest ?
Old 4th January 2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
If Skywest is in trouble, I wonder how NJS, Skippers, Network and Maroomba are travelling as they all seem much more exposed to the mining industry than Skywest ?
be interesting to see how those others fair, Rio, BHP & FMG have all had downturns now that our friends in China are not building for the Olympics.

Rio, Woodside, BHP, FMG and others are all laying off staff.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 4th January 2009, 10:59 AM

dropping demands and commodity prices pretty much means the mining boom is over.. things will get tough for operators heavily reliant on mining charters.
Old 4th January 2009, 12:31 PM

Hi Brenden

Is your source reliable as I am getting contradictory reports to yours ?
Old 4th January 2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Hi Brenden

wouldn't bet on it, he hasn't posted it on Jetspotter and there's no prizes for guessing why.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 4th January 2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Hi Brenden

Very strange......

Are you picking this up from pprune? seems that there are some very unhappy campers posting their
Old 4th January 2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Mining industry is a very broad term. Not all the mining industry is suffering falling demand and tough times. Gold Companies are experiencing prices close to $900 US/oz + a 30% bonus (Roughly $1200AUD per ounce) with the Aussie dollar being around 68c compared to the almost $1 for a $1 we had recently. I fly Skippers once a week to the Goldfields for work. Their terminal is still chockers in the mornings when I fly. Skippers seems to have all if not most of the Gold companies under their belt therefore a pretty safe industry for them compared to Skywest and Alliance who have expensive Jets reliant on iron Demand to China.

I notice Network have had their ex US Airways jet sitting parked up for 6 months now still in its US Airways colours. In no hurry to commision that obviously.

Cheers
Old 4th January 2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Mining industry is a very broad term. Not all the mining industry is suffering falling demand and tough times. Gold Companies are experiencing prices close to $900 US/oz + a 30% bonus (Roughly $1200AUD per ounce) with the Aussie dollar being around 68c compared to the almost $1 for a $1 we had recently. I fly Skippers once a week to the Goldfields for work. Their terminal is still chockers in the mornings when I fly. Skippers seems to have all if not most of the Gold companies under their belt therefore a pretty safe industry for them compared to Skywest and Alliance who have expensive Jets reliant on iron Demand to China.

I notice Network have had their ex US Airways jet sitting parked up for 6 months now still in its US Airways colours. In no hurry to commision that obviously.

Cheers
Network I heard they were having trouble, snags with the introduction of FK100's to their fleet?
Old 4th January 2009, 08:03 PM

I guess QF and DJ both increasing WA capacity doesnt help.

Something has gotta give!