Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 11th January 2009, 06:24 AM

Default QF A380 in-flight entertainment

Hi Guys,

As you may have read in another thread or two I'll be flying QF's A380 to LAX in a couple of weeks (in Economy). I just have a few quick questions in relation to the new inflight-entertainment system on the A380s.

Firstly, is the AVOD system installed on the A380 the same as the 744s, or is it update with more features and so on? (I read that passengers will have access to the external camera fitted on the A380, but anything else new?)

Secondly, I remember Qantas talking about how the A380 will give all passengers internet access and webmail. Is this feature still being offered on their A380s as I remember reading they had some teething problems with the system after they took delivery of the VH-OGA? Also, if anyone's tried this system, is it any good, how restricting is it in terms of websites, and speed as well?

Thirdly, should I expect anything new in QF's A380 Economy cabin? Apart from the open snack-bar, wider-seats, new entertainment system and fresh looking interior (don't worry, I'm avoiding the 'Green Zone' section as I don't want over-the-wing window seating).. is there anything else new and innovative for Y-pax ?

Thanks for any replies!

- Shameel K.
Old 11th January 2009, 09:44 AM

The AVOD is different to the 747's. The 747's have the Rockwell Collins version (known as AVOiD due to its constant problems). The A380 version is a Panasonic one and this is the info from the Qantas website:

"Choose from our vast selection of up to 100 movies, over 500 television programs, 1000 CDs, 50 audio books and 80 games. There are also Lonely Planet interactive destination guides, and language tutorials."
Old 11th January 2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
The AVOD is different to the 747's. The 747's have the Rockwell Collins version (known as AVOiD due to its constant problems). The A380 version is a Panasonic one and this is the info from the Qantas website: ...
Ah yes, the change-over to the Panasonic AVOD system. Seems like Rockwell Collins AVOD system just isn't reliable enough,.. every flight I've had with QF, either mine or my partner's system hasn't cooperated. Even on my latest lucky experience on QF Premium Economy (B744ER) my system didn't work from the onset and staff were unable to do a thing.

Thanks for that Sarah!
Old 12th January 2009, 01:21 AM

Without having any intentions of turning this into a Qantas bashing thread I was just talking to a mate about this a few days ago. He lives in Singapore and flies to and from Australia reasonably regularly on Qantas. He was saying that he has had 6 flights running where the inflight entertainment system wasn't working. From what has been said on ths thread I wll reassure him that he should look forward to more reliable facilties entertainmentwise with Qantas as long as he books on the A380 services when they commence. Can I assume that Qantas is looking into the issues with the 744's entertainment system? I assume it is too soon after fitting for them to consider refitting a new system.
Old 12th January 2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
Can I assume that Qantas is looking into the issues with the 744's entertainment system? I assume it is too soon after fitting for them to consider refitting a new system.
They have had this system since about 2004 from memory, so doubt they are going to be replacing it, if they were they would have done it with the makeovers of the 744's and the introduction of Y+
Old 12th January 2009, 08:12 AM

hey Shameel - flying this Friday on the QF A380's inaugural SYD-SIN in business (requested an upgrade to First but I don't think they upgrade even if seats are available :-( )...then flying on EK's inaugural DXB-SYD A380 on 01FEB...will tell you all about it.

I think the system is the same as what SQ has on their 380s/77Ws and also what VA will have on theirs. It is reliable and easy to use.

Have a great week...
Old 13th January 2009, 12:30 PM

I wonder if Qantas will do something special for the inaugural on the Kangaroo route?

Souvenirs for passengers?
A small ceremony to mark the occasion?
etc.