Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 23rd October 2011, 11:53 AM
Prolific Member

I believe it's legislated that 16L/34R can't be used unless it a medical or emergency priority flight during curfew.

Andrew, you'll probably find the only people who are saying Sydney is at or near capacity now are the people opposed to the airport, or those with political mileage to gain from it. Sure, there are times when the airport hits a peak period, but there's also times (possibly like about now as I'm writing this reply) when there's plenty of spare bays and runway use is well below 'average'.

We could sit here and argue the point all day about whether there should or shouldn't be a curfew. The fact is it won't be changing anytime soon, strike or no strike.
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:57 PM

The Dash 8-1/2/300's are approved to land on 34L with up to 20kt tailwind during curfew.
Old 23rd October 2011, 01:25 PM

A bigger issue is the 80 movements per hour at the moment is running at 74 to 76 as ATC come close to exceeding the 80 cap recently and the government has now put a person in the tower to count the movements. The airport is capable of doing 100+ per hour.