Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th June 2008, 06:14 PM

Default EKT destined to freighter ops!

Hi all,

I know the horse may have already bolted, however I found out today that one of Rex's Saab 340A's (EKT) has flown or is in the process of flying it's last sector as a passenger aircraft. This comes on the back of KEQ having already been converted a few weeks ago.

The last flight is departing/departed MEL tonight for WGA. Freighter conversion is set to begin tomorrow. Another "A" model bites the dust!

David.M.
Old 13th June 2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Another "A" model bites the dust!
HOOOOORAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are another couple disappearing soon as well, I can't remember which ones off the top of my head though...
Old 14th June 2008, 01:08 AM

I'm pretty sure that the two ex Hazeltons VH-ZLY and VH-ZRX are the other couple dissapearing. Presumibly to Pel-Air ??

KDK, KDB, KDI and EKD will remain in service, though not forever. KDK and KDB have been fully refurbished. Still not 100% sure if they will keep KDI and EKD? - 12 of the 25 ex American Eagle 340B's have allready been delivered and a total of 13 340B+ models are in the fleet.

KEQ, now windowless is in Townsville at the Paint Shop after having its paint stripped and repainted new. I assume it will be all-white in colour with just a rego. Its interior underwent the full freight conversion at Wagga.

KDP was converted to a freighter a few years ago, though I'm not sure where it was convetred and it operates for RAF-AVIA in Europe (rego is YL-RAG). Funnily enough it still contains its windows.

Last edited by Paul C.; 14th June 2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 16th June 2008, 09:15 AM

Paul,

I have heard the same regarding ZLY, but didn't know ZRX was going too.

Although Rex has 13 B+ models in the fleet the older B+ is not a WT model as classified by the company. It does have the newer interior with the larger overhead lockers and the more streamlined window surrounds etc, however it does not have the extended wingtips. I'm sure it has a lot of other differences in the flight deck.. but don't ask me what they are!

David.M.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:59 AM

Well I don't work with REX or anything like that. I'm just a spotter and happen to live near one of the regional airports they operate to.

Well about ZRX (which I flew on just a few weeks after it reentered service for REX), I read an article in an Australian Aviation magazine saying that it was going to be converted into a freighter. Turns out that is actually KEQ and it was a mistake in the magazine. But I was told by a guy who works at REX base at WGA who I got in contact with on facebook that ZLY and its lifelong twin will be converted for PelAir after EKT. You never see any of this information on the rex site.

The older B+ is EKH (No 369) (Doing my research, all Saabs with a construction number from 360 and beyond are B+'s) - and funnily enough EKH is the only one still with the KENDELL and HAZELTON logos (stickers) by the entry door.

My mum flew Burnie to Melbourne on VH-ZLQ last Saturday which I thought was a very nice looking aircraft and she said it was quite noisy, but she said that the seats were also very comfortable.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
it was quite noisy,
Ask Ben S about that!!! (is he back yet?)
Old 30th October 2008, 09:57 PM

UPDATE: EKT is now fully done, repainted and converted, it wears a livery simmilar to the REX livery with the vertical tail design unchanged, the dark blue and red arrows and registration on the base of the veritcal tail. On the windowless fuselage is a red stripe with a large PEL-AIR logo in dark blue above the stripe. On the front sides of the fuselage the small words of 'Member of the REX Group' are displayed. Aircraft is still owned and operated by REX.

VH-KDB is now the third (and oldest) 340A undergoing its Freighter conversion. It will stay with REX and PEL-AIR.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C. View Post
UPDATE: EKT is now fully done, repainted and converted, it wears a livery simmilar to the REX livery with the vertical tail design unchanged, the dark blue and red arrows and registration on the base of the veritcal tail. On the windowless fuselage is a red stripe with a large PEL-AIR logo in dark blue above the stripe. On the front sides of the fuselage the small words of 'Member of the REX Group' are displayed. Aircraft is still owned and operated by REX.

VH-KDB is now the third (and oldest) 340A undergoing its Freighter conversion. It will stay with REX and PEL-AIR.
Do we know what routes they will be used on or just replacing the metro fleet as a whole?

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 31st October 2008, 06:19 PM

EKT is sitting in a corner at Wagga . Berg of a spot for photo's tried that out 4 weeks ago.
Old 14th November 2008, 03:54 PM

Old thread but saves starting a new one

I found out the first of Pel-Air's S340 aircraft should at long last make it online in the next month or two after finally receiving CASA approval on their AOC.

Still unknown on what routes it will fly as of yet.

Flukey