Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 10th July 2008, 11:45 PM

Default US Air Force Tanker: Back to tender

The BBC news has reported that the US Air Force tanker order has been forced back to tender, with the tender this time being overviewd by the Pentagon, rather than the Air Force as before. The news was reporting the favourite to win now is Boeing as national interest and US jobs security was one of the 8 reasons or so that has forced the re-tender. Result expected to be known by the end of the year.

Personally I don't think this decision is good for anyone except for Boeing. Considering the Northrop/EADS winning bid was for planes to be built in the US the reasoning of US job security seems lame.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:37 AM

If you check the Pentagons back pocket you will see a little present left there from Boeing.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:39 PM

Nick,

Given what happened with Boeing in the first round (the Northrop/EADS was round 2), Boeing will be spotless on this one.
Old 12th July 2008, 09:57 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they have 50/50 to keep both parties happy as Airbus will be jumping up and down.
Old 12th July 2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they have 50/50 to keep both parties happy as Airbus will be jumping up and down.
What has it got to do with Airbus? The tenders are Northrop/EADS and Boeing?
Old 15th July 2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
What has it got to do with Airbus? The tenders are Northrop/EADS and Boeing?
Yes but the platform is the A330 and it will be a morale boost to Airbus if they are able to win against Boeing on their home 'turf'.

Even though this appeal has brought them back to ground, I will not be surprised if the KC-30 (KC-45) wins again.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
Yes but the platform is the A330 and it will be a morale boost to Airbus if they are able to win against Boeing on their home 'turf'.

Even though this appeal has brought them back to ground, I will not be surprised if the KC-30 (KC-45) wins again.
The platform is based on the A330 but was to be built in America, not by Airbus but by the EADS/Northrop joint venture. I know I am hair splitting as the line between EADS and Airbus is very fine, but when talking about this subject one should refer to EADS not Airbus, Airbus has little involement in it.

As for how is going to win it will be interesting, as this time round Boeing is offering a product based on the 777 not the 767 like last time. I personaly would like to see EADS/Northrop get up again, even if it just to keep the 'bastards' honest. Having one dominate supplier is bad, and having a situation where the US buys only US is wrong too, kinda goes against most of the free trade treaties they have signed in recent years.