Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2009, 04:42 PM

We know they were designed for medium-long haul routes, particularly in Asia, but for passenger comfort on these long, 8+ hour legs, its just not good enough.

No individual IFE, old business seats, its not what to expect on a 10 hour flight across the pacific/across asia.
Old 12th February 2009, 04:45 PM

I'd like to see Qantas use A330's to operate SYD-HNL...

I'd rather fly in a nice modern Jetstar A332 with average service and options for personal IFE (even though it incurs an extra cost) than an old-ish QF 763 with no personal IFE...even if the service is superior

but thats just me....

And i'm sure there must be economic reasons why they aren't chaging the aircraft on the route
Old 12th February 2009, 04:57 PM

Join the queue, Perth people would like the A330 on the Narita run too, god knows we've been waiting long enough for it.

Errr...Hanley, the 767 is used domestically in Canada, USA and UK and within the EU nations.

Time for you to broaden your horizons.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 12th February 2009, 05:08 PM

I'm sure the 767's extra capacity is greatly appreciated on SYD-MEL runs
Old 12th February 2009, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post

Errr...Hanley, the 767 is used domestically in Canada, USA and UK and within the EU nations.

Time for you to broaden your horizons.
I realise where the B767 is operated domestically, Im just saying the aircraft is designed and used best on medium haul international routes.
Old 12th February 2009, 05:36 PM

I don't know about that, its a higher capacity aircraft that is great for high cycle short turn around flying... its a very useful aircraft! It does do very well at high weights medium haul, but it great for cityflyer!
Old 12th February 2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
I realise where the B767 is operated domestically, Im just saying the aircraft is designed and used best on medium haul international routes.
I think you will find it was designed for US continental flights. On top of that on a per seat basis it is no more costly to run then a smaller narrowbody, especially when you take into account the need more smaller narrowbodies to carry the same load. Also, an airline like Qantas doesn't need the frequency advantage offered by smaller aircraft owing to the fact they already have a high frequency on say SYD-MEL and on longer flights SYD-PER frequency isn't such a great issue.

As for lack of international standard IFE etc, come on guys these are old a/c that are filling specific roles. If Qantas were to replace their aircraft all the time so everything was the same it would cost them, and ultimately the passenger more money.

One last thing to think about is what is the next aircraft Qantas plans to introduce? Yep the 787, which they plan to replace the 767's with on both the short distance hops and maybe even some long haul hops. That aircraft it seems is perfectly suited to both types of ops.

Last edited by Ash W; 12th February 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
15 mins slower than a 738 to turn.
Qantas cannot turn a 73H in 30 mins! They are normally blocked at 45 mins, sometimes 40mins.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
Perhaps they can *finally* get rid of the 763's on int'l duties (syd-hnl, per-nrt)

Though thats been said very often
This morning I was on QF50 and after sitting on the tarmac in Auckland for four hours while they replaced a fuel valve, I was wondering for a while why 763's are being used on Intl routes too

On the other hand, I was happy they diagnosed the problem at ground level and not 38,000ft in the middle of the Tasman. It is Friday the 13th after all.

BTW, I'm counting New Zealand ports as International routes even if you didn't specifically mention this Country above.
Old 13th February 2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth U View Post
Qantas cannot turn a 73H in 30 mins! They are normally blocked at 45 mins, sometimes 40mins.
That is the way Qantas operate I cant comment.