Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd March 2009, 07:07 PM

It still means that LA has a huge problem if they can not handle one A380 then how are they going to be when other airlines want to fly there.

It is a wake up call for Emirates and Singapore and them flying to LA if the city can not handle one.

Bit silly if you ask me but anyway, would this stop Qantas from flying the
A380 there if it becomes a real problem?

I mean what can either of them do, of course LA has to upgrade their airport but for now what can happen beside Qantas still flying the A380 there and LA dealing with it.
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:09 PM

Oh yes LAX is going to turn away the A380..

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/feb...ss/fi-airbus15

"Los Angeles World Airports expects to spend about $121 million by 2009 to ready the airport for the A380, which carries at least 140 more passengers than a Boeing 747, currently the largest passenger jet in service."

Dunno how much they have actually spent, but not sure why LAX keep mentioning how they don't like the A380.
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Oh yes LAX is going to turn away the A380..
I know they won't turn the A380 away but I was wondering what would happen if this is when LA is at their low point so they say, what happens when they become busier again and more airlines start flying more aircraft again

I personally think LA should have thought ahead if they have problems when there is a recession, Qantas won't stop flying the A380 and it would be stupid for LA to turn the plane away.
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:07 PM

Emirates is flying the A380 into JFK - is JFK having any problems ?

Qantas, Singapore and Emirates have several A380s a day into Heathrow - is Heathrow having any problems ?

Qantas, Singapore and Emirates have several A380s a day into Sydney - is Sydney having any problems ?

Several more airports around the world have A380 flights - are they having problems ?

I think the big problem is with the L A administrators who just want to deflect the blame for their lack of preparedness !! They had plenty of forewarning. Admit you've got it wrong and do something about it for God's sake!!!

I wonder if they would be moaning if it was a Boeing 380 ?????
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Admit you've got it wrong and do something about it for God's sake!!!
Didn't realise God was a commercial airline traveller
Old 4th March 2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Emirates is flying the A380 into JFK - is JFK having any problems ?
No, but JFK doesn't have four parellel runways in very close proximity to each other.

Quote:
Qantas, Singapore and Emirates have several A380s a day into Heathrow - is Heathrow having any problems ?
No, but Heathrow doesn't have four parallel runways in very close proximity to each other.

Quote:
Qantas, Singapore and Emirates have several A380s a day into Sydney - is Sydney having any problems ?
No, but Sydney doesn't have four parallel runways in very close proximity to each other.

Quote:
Several more airports around the world have A380 flights - are they having problems ?
No, but...you get the idea...

Quote:
I think the big problem is with the L A administrators who just want to deflect the blame for their lack of preparedness !! They had plenty of forewarning. Admit you've got it wrong and do something about it for God's sake!!!

I wonder if they would be moaning if it was a Boeing 380 ?????
LA has done more than most in preparing for the 380, but it was always restricted in what it could do due to its tight layout and restrictive terminal layouts - they even have to tow 747s onto their gates, let alone 380s.

The 380, especially when it's holding for takeoff, apparently blocks the ILS for both the runway it is waiting for and the adjacent parallel runway, thus meaning it has to be given priority take off clearance to minimise this. Similarly, when a 380 is taxiing on Charlie for a RWY25L departure, due to its proximity to RWY25R, I think there are restrictions in the size of aircraft able to use 25R. And if arriving on 25L, due to its size the 380 is given priority to cross 25R into the TBIT rather than hold betwen runways.

Is Will, AJ, Bill or someone who has operated into LA able to provide some perspective?

Cheers
Old 4th March 2009, 07:21 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Smith View Post
Didn't realise God was a commercial airline traveller
It's not a widely published thing. Apparently he travels on El Al, et al!
Old 4th March 2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
It's not a widely published thing. Apparently he travels on El Al, et al!
He's King Of The Jews, of course he travels with El Al. I heard he hates the tight security though.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:47 AM

Found these documents on LAX Runway Saftey

http://www.ourlax.org/pdf/PublicMeet...s_20061025.pdf

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedfiles/la...ay%20Jack).pdf

good to help understand issues at LAX.
Old 4th March 2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Is Will, AJ, Bill or someone who has operated into LA able to provide some perspective?
I haven't been there since 2000, but taxying a 747 around LAX is kinda like driving a huge bus around the middle of Sydney CBD.
It's possible, but very unwieldy and made me nervous. I can only imagine with the increase in traffic how the larger A380 would be.
I remember once, after a ten hour flight from Nadi, we had to hold out on a remote taxyway for 45 mintues to wait for our bay to be opened. Pax not happy ....