Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 4th February 2012, 09:34 AM

Here Here.... Well said Todd

Jim M
Old 4th February 2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hendry View Post
Greg, I have been very silent on this matter for a long time.
I am sick of people having a go at unions when they are not involved.
I'd love to know where this backstabbing happens. To quote a once fish and chip shop owner "please explain?".

I know this is a public forum and people have a right to free speech. Go right ahead. But please be informed.

I can tell you now that one union offered the company between 15 and 20% and was knocked back.

Greedy? I don't think so.

So please when you want to go of half-cocked please think again.

Todd.
Not half-cocked at all Todd. Most airline unionists have simply dropped their bottom lip now because management was smart enough to bring the dispute to a head and they've been forced to accept a compromise. I wonder where we'd be now if management had not forced their hand...strikes or go-slows through school holidays and public holidays, overtime bans etc etc etc. And 15 - 20%...you must be kidding! I work in IT and have a number of relatives that work in the airline industry and NONE of us have EVER been offered more than 3% at best as a pay rise for many years now, if anything was offered at all! To ask for the ridiculous percentages that the union were asking and threaten (and carry out) militant industrial action when you don't get your way IS blackmail or very close to it! Of course management aren't squeaky clean in this either but as a general rule airline unions demand far more than they should in this economic climate then scream blue murder when jobs are off-shored as a result.
Old 4th February 2012, 10:10 PM

Ash, Well done! You are one of the very few who read the article in it's entirety and understand what is actually being increased and when for the correct reasons.
Old 5th February 2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

it's just another nail in the Qantas (international) coffin !!!

$120 might not sound much, but for a family of 6, that's $720, which may be enough to push them over the edge & not go/fly at all, which is bad for everyone.
Old 5th February 2012, 03:28 PM

Andrew considering what the cost increases are for you will find everyone else will be raising their price too.
Old 5th February 2012, 07:54 PM
Banned

Default issue of not travelling, not who to fly with

Yes, so people may not fly at all, or go to a closer location for a shorter period.

In the end, everyone loses as with all the doom & gloom arpound at present, people don't need much of an excuse to not fly.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:40 PM

Greg.

You are miss interpreting Todd's post. The pilots union offered the company a reduction in costs of 15-20%. Not asking for pay rises of that amount. I don't want to get into a slanging match about "aviation unions" with you, but the pilots entire industrial action consisted of wearing red ties and making PA's. They did not participate in the events you described.

Just wanted to clear up your mistake.

Cheers.
Old 6th February 2012, 10:57 AM

Thanks Dave. I did misunderstand what Todd was saying....sorry Todd. I'm fully aware that the pilot's part of the dispute was handled by them with dignity and my little dummy spit was not aimed at them at all, rather a few other groups that shall remain obvious!!
Old 6th February 2012, 12:12 PM

Default No problem

No worries Greg.
Todd
Old 7th February 2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Default Qantas should stand up to govt & say collect your own taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason PM View Post
I too am intrigued that QF Carbon Tax cost is already being passed on. Will be interesting if the authority reviewing pricing issues related to the CT will have an early look.

Also, I get frustrated in the separate pricing that airlines do, there shouldn't be a separate fee on these items. What next will QF have a tax on the fare for Payroll Tax and another entry for Corporate Tax etc..
Qantas is big enough, especially if they got together with DJ & others & said to Fed govt collect your own taxes, like you used to do at airports.

That way they could advertise lower fares & people would realise that they are paying ridiculous taxes for departing the country, so called security etc.