Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2012, 11:11 AM

How do you propose for this to work? How is the Federal Government going to collect a carbon tax from individuals? Moreso when you consider the carbon tax covers more than just aviation?

In relation to the other taxes you mention, do remember that things like the carbon tax can be directly attributed to an individual journey, but other taxes such as corporate and payroll (do they still have this?) cannot be attributed to an individual journey, so a bit hard to collect separately. Though do agree with the sentiment that it is silly to have surcharges etc, why not just have a fare that covers all the costs?
Old 7th February 2012, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default airfare taxes !!!

Andrew- Please do not use the quote button to quote the entire post directly above yours. -mod.

No, no, no.

Years ago, you used to pay your departure tax at international airport.

Some rocket scientist in tax department, decided cheaper for airlines to collect, but they forgto that would lead to less people travelling, as many travellers are extremely price sensitive.

Now we have a raft of taxes/charges (not inc fuel surcharges) which no one wants to collect as it's perceived to be part of airfare.

Airlines don't want to collect, agents don't want to collect.

If QF & co said shove it, then what choice does the fed govt have really ?

Go back to collecting it themselves at airports + all the other charges.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:51 PM

Depature tax I agree could be collected individually but it is pretty stupid and backwards to do so. How many countries still do it seperatly? As for it turning off passengers where is your evidence.

However you have missed the point completly with the carbon tax. It is not a tax that can be collected from an individual. Next you will be suggesting that an individual should pay GST directly to the government rather than being 'collected' by the airline.
Old 7th February 2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Depature tax I agree could be collected individually but it is pretty stupid and backwards to do so. How many countries still do it seperatly?
New Zealand still does for starters.
Old 7th February 2012, 08:46 PM

Enough said I guess. Backwards....
Old 8th February 2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default every dollar higher fare, means less flyers

Quote:
As for it turning off passengers where is your evidence.

Next you will be suggesting that an individual should pay GST directly to the government rather than being 'collected' by the airline.
there is no GST on interntional fares !!!

Tiger, who are now selling tickets to lots of suits (probably those who pay their own fares) say that a dollar or 2 can make a huge difference to sales.

It's rough out there.

We've lost Spanair & Malev. Just waiting for a big legacy to fall over.

With USA & European economies in seemingly freefall, who knows what will happen.

If airlines don't include $47 departure tax or whatever it's now called + all the other taxes, that's a huge amount.

CEO of Allegiant in USA said recently, something to the effect, that he can sell a fare from A to 8 for $80 & pick up $40 on ancillary sales, BUT, the same passenger won't pay $120 if all ancillary costs included.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:42 PM

Since when was the discussion about international only? So my question about GST still stands.

Why should an airline or any business for that matter be able to deceive their passengers into thinking the total cost of their trip is less than it really is? And deception is exactly what it, and your example about Allegiant (whoever they are) is. Deceiving a customer into thinking they are paying less so they end up paying more.

ALL costs to get a passenger from A to B should be included in the fare the passenger pays. The only thing that really is up for debate is weather those costs should be rolled into one bottom line price, or weather individual surcharges etc should be separately listed.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:27 PM

Ash

do airlines now have weather surchages!!!
Old 8th February 2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

Default Allegiant are fastest growing & most profitable US carrier

Quote:
Since when was the discussion about international only? So my question about GST still stands.

Why should an airline or any business for that matter be able to deceive their passengers into thinking the total cost of their trip is less than it really is? And deception is exactly what it, and your example about Allegiant (whoever they are) is. Deceiving a customer into thinking they are paying less so they end up paying more.

ALL costs to get a passenger from A to B should be included in the fare the passenger pays. The only thing that really is up for debate is weather those costs should be rolled into one bottom line price, or weather individual surcharges etc should be separately listed.
It's not deception, it's all about very dodgy govt & airport charges.

Allegiant have something like 50+ maddogs & now have something like 6 x 752's. They will start Hawaii service, hopefully by the middle of this year.

Check them out. They seem to be the future in USA.

Airports like ZQN charge a user fee of something like NZD$20 or $25/adult, which has nothing to do with the airfare, but you can't fly out of ZQN to OZ without paying it 1st.
Old 9th February 2012, 08:04 PM

There was an interesting story on the ABC lunchtime news today on the topic of airline prices and the 'deceptive' manner in which the true costs of flights are being hidden to deceive customers into thinking their flight is cheaper than what it really is. The article was commenting more on things like paying for baggage etc, but the whole jist of the story was airlines should have a bottom line price that can be compared to other airlines, being the total cost of getting the passenger from A to B.

By even suggesting that all associated taxes, fee's etc should be hidden from the passenger and then sprung on them latter is total lunacy IMO. Even the suggestion that by removing taxes and charges, which the passenger must pay from the price so that the price looks cheaper, says it all really. How that is not deception is well beyond me.

I recall once being caught out by an exit tax in East Timor. The charge was $20 USD, which I didn't know about it, the previous times I had been there no tax was payable, so I had no USD. All I had in cash was $50AUD, which the Air North Agent happily accepted in exchange for a fresh $20USD as there was no currency exchange.

Last edited by Ash W; 9th February 2012 at 08:10 PM.