Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2016, 11:55 AM

Default Working in ground operations (Sydney)

Hello aviation enthusiasts,

My name's Tara and it is my dream to work as ground crew in Sydney. I currently work as a vehicle painter at a prestige smash repairs, however, this is not something I'm passionate about.

Everyone who knows me or has ever known me are all too aware of my passion for aviation. I'm am however finding it extremely difficult to break into the industry.

I was fortunate enough to meet the manager of all cabin crew (Sydney based) of virgin Australia and she called me in for a meeting to discuss getting me into a customer service role and moving my way on from there. Unfortunately though she was let go after her probation period as she musnt have been quite what virgin were looking for.

This was my best chance gone. We hadn't commenced interviewing and our meeting was only 'off the record' at the time. She did say that Virgin recruit in batches and the next was scheduled for March 2016.

Does anyone work for virgin or any other airline for that matter that may have some information about this and the processes involved. I would be so great full for ANY information as I'm desperate to follow my dreams and work around my beloved planes.

Thank you for reading this message.

Tara.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:39 PM
Prolific Member

Hi Tara

Best of luck in your search for an aviation role. In your brief post, you have not mentioned what you have been doing to demonstrate your passion, other than a brief meeting with a Virgin staffer.

Often its what you do outside of the norm/work that can make all the difference, for instance are you involved in the Air Force Cadets, which is something you can volunteer for as an Adult Supervisor or the Australian Air League? You might also want to look at the Avalon Airshow and touch base with them offering to act as a volunteer, or even your local museum, such as HARS down the gong. One way or another, your extra circular work will not go unnoticed, and often you will meet someone that will sponsor you into what you want to do, which might change

I was lucky to have spent my teen years hanging around the airport, cleaning planes and getting the occasional ride (including one in the drover now at HARS) and was also an Air Force Cadet, where I got to do work experience in ATC, the Firies etc, and I think it was this that got me into ATC when they first recruited after a long break. I was up against 60000 applications for 18 places, in todays world I reckon any job in aviation probably has similar odds, stick at it.
Old 7th March 2016, 01:04 PM

Thank you mark R for you quick response.

I spend a great deal of time in and around the airport itself. I enjoy taking photographs of planes and have a young friend who's training as an aircraft technician in the navy.

Most books and aircraft documentaries I have either seen or read. My extensive knowledge of aviation reaches far out from anyone I know. Even my navy friend was blown by how much I know.

I have a yearly subscription to airliner world and regularly listen to the 'airline pilot guy' podcast. My room features a selection of model airplanes and framed photographs of aircraft.

I have visited the HARS museum and loved it, I was offered to do some
Volunteer work there however I do not have a car and it's quite far from the city. As well as this I have also visited Concorde in Bristol (uk) which is where I am originally from and Concorde that sits along side the Hudson in New York.

There is quite a lot to my story, it's hard to find words to describe my passion and energy for the industry without waffling on. I can't begin to imagine how I am going to write a cover letter to go with my CV.

I love your story, it goes to show that if you love something so much you will get there in the end. All I want is my foot in the door, once there, the skies the limit!
Old 7th March 2016, 01:06 PM

Perhaps check out the careers section of the virgin australia website?

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/about-us/careers/
Old 7th March 2016, 01:20 PM

The following qualifications could help... Senior First Aid, Working with Children check (for supervising unaccompanied minors) Responsible Service of Alcohol (for cabin crew).

You may be surprised at the level of aviation interest among ground crew. I have been asked some of the strangest questions. Like why the FedEx plane has no windows...
Old 7th March 2016, 01:21 PM
Prolific Member

I knocked on the door once a month, every month, for nearly 18 months. Then I got offered an interview and the rest is history. That was just over 17 years ago...
Old 7th March 2016, 01:43 PM

Thank you mark R for you quick response.

I spend a great deal of time in and around the airport itself. I enjoy taking photographs of planes and have a young friend who's training as an aircraft technician in the navy.

Most books and aircraft documentaries I have either seen or read. My extensive knowledge of aviation reaches far out from anyone I know. Even my navy friend was blown by how much I know.

I have a yearly subscription to airliner world and regularly listen to the 'airline pilot guy' podcast. My room features a selection of model airplanes and framed photographs of aircraft.

I have visited the HARS museum and loved it, I was offered to do some
Volunteer work there however I do not have a car and it's quite far from the city. As well as this I have also visited Concorde in Bristol (uk) which is where I am originally from and Concorde that sits along side the Hudson in New York.

There is quite a lot to my story, it's hard to find words to describe my passion and energy for the industry without waffling on. I can't begin to imagine how I am going to write a cover letter to go with my CV.

I love your story, it goes to show that if you love something so much you will get there in the end. All I want is my foot in the door, once there, the skies the limit!
Old 7th March 2016, 01:48 PM

I frequently check all airline websites for career opportunities.

What do you do in the industry Nigel C?
Old 7th March 2016, 01:56 PM

Hi Tara,

Just wondering if you have tried any of the ground handling agencies? You won't be working for the actual airlines but this option is a great way to get a foothold into the industry!

Here are a couple of them:
Aerocare:
http://aerocare.com.au/work-with-us/
Dnata:
http://www.dnata.com/english/careers/
Menzies Aviation:
http://www.menziesaviation.com/index...lobal-Contacts

Good Luck and Happy Flying!!!
Old 7th March 2016, 02:06 PM

Wow thank you for the links Alex T... I'll get onto that tonight! ❤️✈️