Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 26th October 2008, 02:03 PM

Good AND Bad news everyone

Quote:
THE Red Bull International Air Race will stay in Perth for another three years from 2010, the WA government has announced.

The event, which will be held next weekend, last year attracted hundreds of thousands of spectators and more then 100 million TV viewers worldwide.

West Australian Tourism Minister Liz Constable said the race would not be held next year but would resume in 2010 for three consecutive years.

"The Red Bull organisers are rejigging their calendar and they want to put the Perth event up front around about March/April and everyone felt that a six month gap between the two races was not long enough,'' Dr Constable said.

"But an 18-month gap gives us time and everyone more time (and) breathing space before we start up again.''

The event involves race pilots from around the world flying between buoys or air gates in the Swan River doing speeds of up to 400km/h, 10 metres above the water.

It is a free event but prime viewing positions can be purchased close to the finish line on the Perth foreshore.

Ms Constable today said, while the event would cost the state government almost $5 million in 2010, the benefits would be worthwhile.

``It returns over $12 million to the local economy ... which is good for business, especially small business,'' Dr Constable said.

``And that's a fantastic to involve people in Western Australia as well as interstate visitors and some overseas visitors.
Means i have to wait 18 months to see it now
Old 28th October 2008, 04:25 PM

Just saw

2 Red Bull Air Race Planes
2 Helicopters
and what must have been an RAAF jet

doing laps along the coast very close to my house. The sound from the fighter jet was impressive to say the least!!!

I assume some promo film etc was being shot; i can still hear them now. Looked very impressive!
Old 29th October 2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Chittock View Post
Howdy all

The Perfff office has now confirmed a venue for the annual Red Bull get together of YSSY board plane geeks and others et al

Count me in

Jason
Old 29th October 2008, 10:40 PM

Skip Stewart in action, just to whet the appetites of those gearing up for this weekend's action

Skip Stewart at Al Ain

03JUL09 PER/MEL QF776 B763 VH-OGJ
10JUL09 MEL/LST QF2285 Q400 VH-QOR
17JUL09 HBA/MEL QF1012 B73H
17JUL09 MEL/PER QF481 332
Old 30th October 2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Chittock View Post
When?
Saturday 1st November
1900hrs (that’d be 7pm for non plane geeks)
I was hoping to make this as I'll be in Perff for the event but might be involded with family who I haven't seen for 20 years.... decisions decisions....

If I can make it I'll have to be a late blow-in - I guess there'll be room for one more :-)
I have the details anyway, & will see closer.
Looking forward to all the Bull (Red, of course :-))
Old 13th November 2008, 07:41 PM

Sorry I missed you guys in Perff, by the time I got there my rellies had planned me a pretty full program.
I was only there 4 days so it was all pretty busy! On the Sunday I had access to the ASX building (blue glass juast west of the airfield at Langley Park), on the 30th floor which was a great viewpoint, but a bit far from the rest of the crowds.
Some photos in Flickr in this set, more to come when I get time. (I took 1050 photos in 2 days, just a little overkill!~!)
Old 25th November 2008, 06:51 PM

Hey All,

I know this is being dug up from a few weeks ago, but I've been flat out sorting through and putting photos online from my recent trips. I finally got around to doing those from a weekend in Perth for the Red Bull Air Race.

Because the photos I've resized to 1024x768, I'll provide this link to another forum which sums it all up for you.

Hope you enjoy...
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...3-11-08-a.html

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 25th November 2008, 07:04 PM

Dan, thanks for the photos. The two airfeilds you took a photo of over Adelaide were, Parafield on the right and RAAF Base Edinburgh on the left. You must have flown directly overhead Adelaide airport.